Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help - shower body rough in

Posted by beckyg75 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 10:56

Hi there,

I'm very confused by something my friend who is helping me with my reno told me, and he is unreachable (visiting family out of town) right now.

He told me to order the "rough in" for my shower, b/c when he gets back from vacation in 2 weeks he will need that right away. I mentioned that i hadn't looked at showerheads yet. He said something like, "we don't need the stuff on the outside".

Sorry to be so ignorant, but don't I need to pick a brand in order to buy a rough in?

Or is there a universal rough in that works with any shower?

This is a shower stall only - there will be a normal showerhead on an arm coming out of the wall, and a handheld shower on a bar.

I'd like to have the type of diverter that allows water to come out of both heads at the same time.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help - shower body rough in

I'm not a plumber.

Yes, you'll need to pick a brand and the valve but not the shower head or the stuff that appears on the wall.

For example, Moen produces a family of shower products that all use the same valve(s).

The rough-in would include the valve, but not the shower head or bar or cover plate or handles.

I suppose you could do it without the valve, leaving space where it would go. But it would be simpler if you already have it in place. And tell the guy installing it what is going on the wall in terms of tiling and such so he can get the depth correct.

o
RE: help - shower body rough in

Thanks weedmeister! So it sounds like I can mix products up to a point.

For example, if I love the look of a Moen thermostatic single lever trim kit, I would make sure all the stuff behind the wall comes from Moen and works with that shower faucet handle.

BUT, I could order my showerhead from anywhere? e.g. if I don't like the look of the matching Moen showerhead, I could get Grohe... right?

Actually, I'm pretty excited if this is the case, b/c I like certain showerheads, but not the handles that go with them, and other handheld showerheads, and yet other faucets.

Probably will be mixing Moen, Grohe, and California Faucets all in chrome in the same bathroom!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here