Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing wall mounted sink

Posted by paulacat (psbeckham@gmail.com) on
Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 6:48

I have a small sink that is attached to a tile wall. I want to replace it with a vanity/sink combo. As far as I can tell, the sink is essentially "glued" to the wall. How do I go about removing it without damaging the (discontinued thus unmatchable) ceramic tile? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing wall mounted sink

Look up under the sink at the wall.

There have been a lot of different methods used to fasten sinks.

Some use a metal plate on the wall that the sink hangs from, and removing the sink after disconnecting all plumbing is usually not hard.

Any caulk along the back edge between the sink and wall needs to be cut through, then just lift the sink straight up.

Others use screws though holes in the back of the sink into the studs.

If it appears there is nothing holding it I would bet on the bracket method.

o

Thanks so much for your reply. Now that you mention the bracket, I think that IS how it's mounted. The sink was taken off the wall once a long time ago and it seems I remember that. Thanks again!

o

Finally got around to this project and sink was indeed resting in a bracket. I was able to remove it, install new vanity and sink, and hook up all the plumbing (did have to get extension for drain pipe)...with no help from hubby or plumber. : ))) I love it when that happens.

o

i have the same issue w/a wall mounted sink on til ive had a new vanity w/sink sitting around for a month and 1/2 im going into the bathroom now to check how its attached.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here