Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a sump pump run continuously?

Posted by jim_w_ny (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 1, 09 at 6:33

We have had a ton of rain like 7" the other day. I have an old basement, laid up stone, which leaks when the water table is high. So the pump has been working over time. Just wondering if I should it shut it off for awhile?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a sump pump run continuously?

To shut it off would defeat the purpose of it being there. Make sure the float is adjusted so that the pump is not coming on needlessly, meaning it cycles before the sump is sufficiently filled. 7" of rain is surely a lot but, if you notice the pump runs too much during less rain, you may want to keep a spare on hand. You should also look for ways to possibly contour the grading around the house where the water could run elsewhere from the downspouts.

o
RE: Can a sump pump run continuously?

That comment about the downspots is helpful.

I also extended the hose on the sump pump so it drained further from the house. That seemed to help. And a sunny day no doubt helped too as the sump pump finally caught up. And a spare pump is another good idea. I was already thinking about my local hardware store that most likely had run out of pumps after that downpour.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here