Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Garbage disposal stuck.

Posted by spookyoldtree (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 2:44

Tried everything including using an allen wrench. The bad news is the wrench doesn't move at all, no matter how hard I tried! So it must be really stuck. From the top of the sink, I couldn't see anything stuck under there.
Anything else I can do or time to call the plumber?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Garbage disposal stuck.

Chances are something fell inside and is now jammed between the rotor and the side wall of the disposal. If you're not comfortable removing the unit and disassembling then get a new one and call a plumber (or handyman) to install it.

o

Hi... I agree with spookyoldtree.... however if the GD is not that old and ready to be replaced anyway... you might buy a straight 90 degree allen wrench (I assume you have the one that is bent on both ends that comes with a GD) and try putting a "cheater" (a hollow small pipe... like maybe 1/2 " copper pipe) on the end and over the allen wrench to get some leverage and work the H out of the rotor back and forth. Most times, it's difficult to get enough force on that small allen wrench when under the sink to break loose that tab top or rock or whatever is jammed.

Usually, whatever is stuck will break loose with enough force... and if you were to damage the GD... you were going to replace it anyway.

Good luck

Peter

o

I have little doubt you've got an unusual jam of some kind in there. You WILL be able to see it from the top. Take out the rubber thingy to give yourself a larger visual opening for inspection and get a flashlight so that you can really see in there. I'm almost certain you'll see the problem.

Since the jam is that solid, you'll also want to inspect the circumference on the inside. There may (or may not) be damage to the cutting surfaces from this unusually solid jam.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here