Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
escutcheon or plate or both?

Posted by hifixer (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 1:36

I live in a condo and want to change the shower faucet and valve. A plumber told me that a larger hole would have to be cut in the shower wall around the valve to gain easier access to it. After the valve is replaced a large plate would cover the hole. My question is: would the escutcheon go over the plate or would the plate replace the escutcheon? Do the plates come in different finishes so that I can pick any finish I want for my fixtures?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: escutcheon or plate or both?

Not sure about the finishes for remodel plates, but if existing one works, you should look into trim kits for that model instead. You need to know the mfr, then call their customer service and describe how your fixture works (eg "pull and turn, or just turn, etc) and they can help. Good luck.

o
RE: escutcheon or plate or both?

Hi, When a valve is replaced a large hole is cut to replace the valve. The plumber will purcase a smitty plate that is designed to work with the type of valve you want ie. single hole or three hole. The smitty plate will be bigger than the hole that was cut. The escutcheons will fit on the plate. I have seen plates made of plastic or stainless steel.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here