Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdf5

Well, pump, tank, and 'pump house routing

KDF5
12 years ago

New to this forum. We just bought a used home with a newer well. We have a holding tank, Well and a separate small "pump house" building that holds the pressure tank, 1/2 hp pump. Both the well pump and the pressure pump run a 20amp circuit.

Problem 1. In the "pump house" the pressure tank is plumbed into the current well and the old well with not visible shut off. Also the irrigation system is "T" in to this same plumbing. It is a horrible plumbing job with spare elbow propping up where the pressure pump line t-off to the pressure tank then into the house through a sediment filter. â¨

Q. Should the second well be disconnected from the circuit? It is still wired and the well is more seasonal. (I have not attempted to turn it on, as I don't want to push rust and sediment in to the house.

Problem 2. We suspect where the well plumbing connects in to the water line that runs from the holding tank to the "pump house" is just a "T" connection. Which I have been told is causing cavitation and air to end up in our lines.

Q. Is this really a problem? Seems to me that the biggest issue is the holding tank (3,000 gal) is not turning over water at all. Water quality is more the issue with a seemingly stagnant tank of water?

Last Question, does aerating my water into the holding tank really eliminate the sulfur smell in all our water?

The holding tank has a float system connected to the well pump; the pressure pump is correctly connect to the pressure switch at the pressure tank and holds 80 lbs with our leaking.

Let me add one more thing, they directly connected the irrigation to the system on the outside of the "pump house" with only a T handle.

Q. Should this be separate?

I know I can fix it, but where does one start? I want to start with plumbing at the well, and let the water enter the holding tank from the top rather than the bottom as it does, and let it aerate the tank to get rid of the sulphur odor. (I will vent the tank as well.

I know this is a lot but I need to get moving on this before winter sets in.

Any ideas or diagrams or websites would be appreciated.

Comment (1)