Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumbing acoustic isolators for noise

Posted by mvmartin (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 1:16

Hi,
We're remodeling our house, and will have plumbing running down through 1st floor walls.

I'm trying to reduce noise from the pipes (water and waste). I had an acoustics engineer recommend to me to try and "isolate" the pipes (especially the water) from the studs used to hold them.

He recommended using an acoustical through-stud isolator which uses a soft material to dampen any movement in the pipe. He mentioned 2 (one by HoldRite, the other by Acousto-plumb). I was trying to see if anyone has any experience with these.

1) Is one of them better than the other?
2) Anything to watch out for or be aware of?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumbing acoustic isolators for noise

The isolators, and I don't know which, if either is better, will help keep the vibrations from being transferred directly to the studs and wallboard, but you also need to fill the wall cavity with sound deadening material to keep the cavity from being an echo chamber for the vibrating drainpipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here