Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackish rust debris coming out of bath faucets

Posted by hapyfrustrated (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 0:05

We have a black/rust looking debris coming out of the tub faucet in one bathroom and through the shower head in another. My H told me tonight he has been taking the shower head off twice a week and cleaning the debris out so we can get a good flow. The bathtub always has black flakey looking particles in the tub. I can't rinse it out because more keeps coming when the water is turned on. What could be causing this? We have copper pipes. I am so worried that our pipes are deteriorated, we built this house 34 years ago and just finished a major renovation. I can't bear to think of tearing out brand new tile bathroom and shower to repair this. Please help me figure this one out. Thanks in advance!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackish rust debris coming out of bath faucets

I doubt the black substance is related to your copper pipe. Most likely it's one of 3 things:

1. Manganese - naturally occuring earth metal, regulated for aesthetics.
2. Rubber deterioration. Some old rubbers are especially vulnerable if you are on municipal water that recently switched to chloramine disinfection.
3. less likely...Extreme stagnation...this would be typical of fire sprinklers and is usually blended black smelly water when drawn.

Copper pipe will leave blue-green staining if the copper is degrading rapidly.

o

Agree with water daddy, likely not corrosion but rather something settling out. However, are you sure there are no galvanized nipples or section of pipe in the run? Coming from isolated draws rather than whole house would indicate such.
Is the supply well or municipal?

o

This is a water well, we live in the country. I will ask my H if there are any galv nipples or section of pipe, not exactly sure what you mean by "section of pipe". He is a stickler for perfection, pretty sure everything is on the up and up. But, will ask him anyway. I sure hope you guys can help us figure this out, it is driving us nuts. Thank you both for your time!

o

"Section of pipe" simply means any piece longer than standard nipple lengths.
Galvanized pipe is still considered an acceptable material in many locales but will suffer from pH. There are parts of the U.S. where acidic water is common.

o

Does your toilet tank collect the same material?

o

Any treatment (softener, filtration, ...etc?). Also curious about the answer to laat2's question. Blackish rust sounds like Manganese. This metal can be dissolved into water and is clear until it is oxidized and appear as a color tint or when plated appears as black specks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here