Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbockwoldt_gw

Any experience with Ohio Pure Water Co?

dbockwoldt
13 years ago

We have a terrible iron problem with our water. We have city well water, but are on the end of the pipeline and it seems the entire city's iron settles on our house.

Our clothes, sinks, tubs, appliances are orange from rust.

We use a 6 year old water softener (GE) with a house filter but it is just not doing the job.

My husband talked to a salesman from Ohio Pure Water who recommends 48k grain softener with a green sand whole house filter unit for $1300 (free shipping, DIY installation). Does anyone have experience with this type of unit or the company? Are they reputable?

Competitively priced?

Thanks,

Denise

Comments (2)

• justalurker
    13 years ago

They are reputable and competitively priced, but before you buy long distance may I suggest...

Water softener 101

Get a water test from an independent lab. An independent lab has no agenda and won't be trying to sell you water treatment equipment. Go to http://www.epa.gov/safewater/labs/index.html to locate a certified lab near you. This is a MUST DO because without it everything is a guess. A quickie water test from Sears or a water softener company won't be as accurate (and possibly not as competent) as from a certified independent lab.

If you're on a water system the water utility can supply you with the specs of the water AS IT LEAVES their facility but that is not necessarily representative of the water conditions at your water meter.

Hit the Yellow Pages and call at least three local water treatment pros. Make sure you call at least one of the big dogs like Kinetico or Culligan for comparison and at least a couple independent pros. DON'T TELL THEM YOU HAD YOUR WATER TESTED.

Give each an opportunity to offer suggestions and provide you with a quote to meet your water treatment needs. IGNORE ANY THAT DON'T TEST YOUR WATER THEMSELVES as they can't speak intelligently to water treatment without knowing what needs to be treated.

Ask lots of questions. Softening the entire house or just the water heater (IMO a bad idea)? Warranty, parts & labor or just parts, how long and on exactly what? Install, permits required, licensed plumber? Routine maintenance and costs? Do they stock parts? Response time for emergency (water leak) calls? If they don't explain things to your satisfaction that is a good indicator of how you'll be treated after the sale.

After they've gone use your water test to compare with theirs. Are all your treatment needs being addressed?

Ask your neighbors if they have any water treatment experience. They might tell you who's good or who to avoid.

Come back here and post the specific recommendations and hardware components with the costs and we'll give you our opinions.

If you're a DIYer then you have other options but they must be discussed privately by email. But remember, when you do it yourself there's no one else to blame.

• fuzzibearbutt_aol_com
    13 years ago

Just had a complete failure of one of their systems. Ran resin from the water softener system through my entire house. Had to take every thing apart and clean the resin out, washer. dishwasher, toilets ect. The system had been in place for a 4 0r 5 years so I called them to see what the problem might be. They said it must be the stainer in the bottom of the tank, so I ordered a new stainer and new resin (life 10 to 15 years according to Ohio Pure water)
    When I took the conditioner apart the intake strainer was crushed because the tube they had sent with the original order was too long (their current instructions tell you it should be level with the top of the tank). A piece had finally broken because of the strain. There was no information about tube length in the original installation guide, it said cover the intake pipe, fill the tank with resin, and screw the controller on. The new intake was longer than the old one, total of over 2 inches too long. When I called Ohio Pure Water I was Informed by the person on the line (Whom I assume was the supervisor, since the person who answered directed my call to him) that he did not cut the original pipe, and I should know that the new one would not work without cutting it to the correct size. He offered to refund the new strainer, 20 some bucks on a invoice of over 200 and when I said that didn't sound fair he said that was the offer and hung up. If this sounds like a company you want to deal with, go for it, good luck when they screw you.