Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Cast Iron

Posted by mike_kaiser (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 22:29

I need to remove about 10' of 4" of cast iron. It's not one piece, there's a Wye and a couple of shorter sections. Working room is really tight. At the beginning of the run it transitions to 2" (to pick up a sink drain). That part I need a clean cut but the rest of it is scrap.

I know I can use a chain/snap cutter. I'm wondering, rather than having to run out rent on (and return it), if I could use a angle grinder and score the pipe and have at it with a hammer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Cast Iron

I have done basicly the same thing using a round flexiable carbide hacksaw blade rigged with handles like the little irigation pipe wire saws for close quarters pvc pipe. Just be prepared to finish snapping off a few pieces that fail to come clean with the rest of the pipe,esp if the iron is old and thin. You will be fine,just take a few extra minutes.

o

If indeed it is scrap you can go at the hub of the cast with a ball peen hammer. You can reconnect with a no hub coupling.

o

I don't know how your 360 degree access is, but I have used my
Skil saw with an abrasive metal blade to make quick work of
a 4" cast iron pipe cut.

o

You can also use a recip. saw with a metal cutting blade. Makes a clean cut.

o

If you use a reciprocating saw, make sure you get the blades that are made for cutting steel/cast iron. If you get the general demolition blades, even higher quality ones, you'll end up going through about 4 of the per 4" cut...I did.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here