Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisadlu

Big cost difference to re-pipe house!!

lisadlu
9 years ago

I've gotten two quotes so far to re-pipe my house. House is 1767 sq/ft with two full bathrooms, kitchen, water heater, laundry area. One quote was for $3,200 and the other for $20,400. Both said they would pull permits and use copper pipe. The difference being the cheaper one is a mom and pop operation and the other is a big franchise company. The smaller company would also run pipe on the exterior to the master bathroom instead of jackhammering across the family room into that bathroom (no attic to reach that bathroom, we are also on a slab). The bigger company would run the pipe all around the interior walls to reach that bathroom. I am getting more quotes but my question is, I know cheaper isn't usually better BUT if the job is permitted and their work is being inspected should I worry about it? Thanks!

Comments (31)

• manhattan42
    9 years ago

First: Why use copper pipe?

Virtually no one uses copper pipe for plumbing supplies these days unless you are locked into copper pipe by owner's covenant's or something else.

Use PEX pipe and have the job cost about 75% of what has been already quoted to you for copper from either bidder.

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did ask about PEX to the 20K guy and he said it was cheaper but he didn't recommend because of two things (rats could chew through it and you could accidently hit a nail through it while hanging a picture). Seems like everyone does copper around here from what I can tell. I will ask him to requote it with PEX though. Also, if jobs are city inspected would you worry why the big cost difference? THANKS!!

• Karmabiker
    9 years ago

In the process of having mine redone with PEX. At the end of the day even at the same $$ I would go PEX after doing a bunch of research.

20K seems CRAZY high for that size house.

My quotes ranged from $2200 - $17000 for the same job with PEX.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Only place I recommend copper these days is with people that have well water. Copper does kill some types of bacteria.

With all of the chemicals (especially chlorine) they put in city water now, I would use PEX or CPVC before copper.

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have plumber number three coming today to quote. I will ask him about the PEX but I have a feeling it may not be code where I live (Palm Desert, CA). Only reason I say that is because a plumber told me last year it wasn't allowed by code and all the ad's in the yellow pages say copper repipes... not a word about PEX in any advertisement.

• woodbutcher_ca
    9 years ago

Hi,
    Call the city building department and ask if PEX is approved.
    I live in Riverside County Ca .
    The Press Enterprise newspaper has an ad for repipe Any 2 bathroom house complete repipe 4695.00 for copper and 3695.00 for PEX
    Woodbutcher

• fixizin
    9 years ago

In general--and especially in your case--I'd go with the Mom & Pop shop. Besides the outrageous and prohibitive price diff, I'm betting you can easily determine the name(s) of the Pop shop plumber(s) who will ACTUALLY BE DOING THE WORK (e.g. "Pop" himself), look up their state licensure, skill level (journeyman/master), any past complaints, etc... for similar reasons, they'll be WAY more likely to stand behind their work.

Big franchise will send whomever .gov is subsidizing on the latest prison-to-work program... HIDE yer daughters! =:O

Nota bene: Copper tubing ("pipe") comes in 3 weights (wall thickness), K, L, and M, heaviest to thinnest, also Most to Least expensive... pros consider M not durable enough for most applications, except TPR downspout on water heater, and similar near-zero duty cycle applications. L-weight is the norm, K typically only for buried or cast-in-concrete runs. >>>MAKE SURE THIS IS IN THE QUOTENothing wrong with running copper on the exterior in NON-freezing climes--done all the time here in So-Fla... would be foolish (and probably against Code) to do so with PEX. Also not sure if PEX is *paintable*, but copper certainly is, and paint, combined with very high height (screened by eaves/soffit/fascia/etc.) or very low height (screened by landscaping), makes the copper runs very inconspicuous.

PLEASE report back with your results, so as to "close the learning loop" for all who trouble to come here. Thanks and good luck.

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are going with plumber #3 (also a small mom and pop business). My GC friend recommended him and I've been happy with his follow up and honesty so far.
    I checked and we can use PEX here (Palm Desert, CA) but it is against code in Palm Springs!! (the next city over. Go figure!). So we are doing PEX inside the house, and the one run that will be on our back exterior wall going to the master bath will be copper inside a conduit. His price is $5400 which may be a little high considering we are using mostly PEX but I feel confident with him. Permit is being pulled today and work should start shortly. Fingers crossed everything goes as smoothly and cleanly as possible! LOL! :)

• over40
    9 years ago

Just got a price to repipe a 1600 sf 3br, 2 bah house with Pex, including a new water heater. $2995. This was from a big local company.

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Over 40 - That's a great price! My original guy who told me $3200 actually came in at $5300 after doing his calculations. My other bids were $5400 and $20K!!! These companies seem to vary widely in their pricing so it's prudent to get a few quotes and compare. Good luck with your piping project! :)

• fixizin
    9 years ago

If peeps don't list at least: a) their zip code, and b) layout and construction of home (e.g. 2-story, wood-frame, over crawl-space... or 1-story CBS on slab), then there's simply no useful "comparison" of renovation prices... there's Palo Alto prices and there's Wichita prices... and there's fishing PEX down a wall prices vs. jack hammering (and re-casting) a slab prices... night and day.

• k_rider
    9 years ago

Which ever way you go, pay extra for valves to be able to shut off and isolate different rooms and fixtures. Being able to turn of various rooms and fixtures without turning off the whole house is sooooo worth it.......

• gaaliseenu
    9 years ago

Just wanted to share my recent experience with repiping for others in this forum:

Had a 18 yr old 3400 sft , 2 floor , 3.5 bath home repiped with L type american made copper

Was not as bad as I feared - used a company called "Sagewater /Plumbing Express"

Turnkey job that included everything including drywall

3 days for repipe and 2 days for drywall repair

These guys have repiped thousands of homes - they were excellent - minimized dust with extensive plastic cover everywhere - used only the best materials etc

In my research I found this article very helpful - it educates you with all the questions you need to ask ( including a link so others may benefit ):

http://www.repipe-pro.com/Repiping%20-%20The%20Real%20Story-short.pdf

• iamthin
    7 years ago

I am 85 years old. Retired since 1992. Background in finance. Repiped my 3200 sq ft one story 2 1/2 bath home myself with propex (Aquapex). Cost under $1,000 including $400 for battery operated tool required to expand the pipe to insert fittings. Still own the tool for any additional plumbing. This was over 3 years ago and have had no problems. Propex is different from the pex you find at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. There are two local plumbing supply stores that sell it in Houston. It can also be purchased on internet. Small amount of sheetrocking (learned that doing volunteer work at flood damaged church) Not difficult at all. Lots of DIY videos on internet using pex.

• diy79guy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I am living in a house (3bdrm/2 bath) that was built in 1969. The pipes have never been changed from what the home inspector reported when I bought the house 2 years ago. How often should we change our water pipes?

I do notice that after a "short" vacation when we return and turn on the water, the water is brown to yellowish. I know that we are running galvanized steel underneath the house to run the water. I live in a 1 story house in San Jose, CA.

I'm a novice when it comes to plumbing but ask me any computer question and I can answer it.

So my questions are:

1. How often should we change our pipes?

2. After reading everyone's comments look like PEX is the way to go?

3. Any one from the SF Bay Area and have any recommendations on plumbers to do it? I know, I can use YELP. But like recommendations. Thanks.

• jnavarro31
    7 years ago

Mrwong, our house was built in 1929 and we still have most of the original galvanized plumbing.

If you are getting sediment from your water service line, changing your internal plumbing won't do anything about that. You'll need to change your water service, and that will likely cost you several times the cost to replumb your house, depending on how long the distance is between the curb-stop and the house, and whether it runs under your driveway or any other concrete.

• Wren
    6 years ago

Can you suggest a plumber in the Palm Springs area for full house remodel?

• lejlaisak
    6 years ago

Hey Lisa, can you tell me which company did you use in Palm Desert for repiping? Thank you!

• HU-322154287
    4 years ago

I see this is an old thread but I have a question around the replumbing of a house. I have a 1324 sf home with 2 bathrooms in Phoenix, AZ. I have just had the house replumbed after the Polybutylene junk started springing a leak a week lately. The replumbing cost aproximately $6000.00 for the PEX repiping. I just received a quote of aproximately $8000 to repair all of the drywall. It's a mess and I'm just wondering if that seems reasonable. Granted there were extra holes from previous leaks which is why the replumbing was a little less expensive too since lots of the pipe had been replaced already.

I have tenants in the house so I have not seen the place other than many photos of the repairs that need to be completed. Any suggestions? I'm new to the replumbing of an entire house.

Thanks! Linda

• woodbutcher_ca
    4 years ago

Hi Linda,

If your property is managed have them get at least two more bids. If the bids are about the same maybe call a locale plumber where your property is to give you a bid independent from the manager.

I have a couple properties under management and I sometimes believe they hire there brother in laws to do the work.

Good Luck Woodbutcher

• HU-322154287
    4 years ago

Hi Woodbutcher_ca, I do have a property manager. I will do as you suggest and get a couple of other quotes. I don't have access to the house since it is being managed but I like your suggestion. I have done a little research on the companies but I think you are very accurate about the brother in laws. Thanks very much!

Linda

• Michelle Bienkowski
    3 years ago

xedos...75% of 3200 is 2400, not 750. Maybe you need to “get a clue” before leaving snarky responses to comments you are unable to comprehend.

• Bonnie K
    3 years ago

We are in BC, Canada, and we just got a quote for $10,000+ to repipe our 3000 sq ft rancher with walkout basement (3 full bathrooms, 1 kitchen) We’re definitely going to get another couple of quotes.

• Bonnie K
    3 years ago

My mistake my hubby just told me it was $14,000 plus tax.

• Kimberly Miller
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Honestly i do not trust pex. I think people should stop buying into the hype and their made up science mombo jombo and use their dam brains. The pipe is plastic! How can you trust sending drinking hot water through plastic? Yes scientist have proven its safe. Soon they will tell you to buy oxygen and stop breathing in public and an egotistical moron will come in a glasses and lab coat and tell you its better for the environment and u will belive it. If you cook with plastic your dumb. People are getting cancer left right and center wake up!

• Bonnie K
    2 years ago

We had to replace our polyB pipe as it had started to leak and it is banned here. The recommended pipe for use is PEX. We do have filtered drinking water.

• andrew pruitt
    2 years ago

Im a master plumber of 22years. pex is not the answer. pex breaks down with chlorine, UV, and high temperature. 99% of modern plumbers have no experience, they are truck jockies and salesmen, copper can last 100years if installed correctly. when installing pex you can not use a torch within 18” of the pipe. crimp rings slide off the barbs, the pex will burst like copper when frozen, a sharp edge on a light fixture can rub a hole. UPONOR makes the only reliable fittings they are $30-$45each solid brass connector and ring specialty tool to install them using expansion and compression, however however, there are precautions with installing copper. copper needs dielectric consciousness, avoiding concrete, a screw can go through any pipe, they make nail plates per code for passing through a stud in a wall. Pex is for lazy guys who dont want to get dirty. it has certain applications such as non-potable water, radiant boiler heating lines, irrigation for plants. trustworthyplumbingllc@gmail.com i will answer any questions at no charge.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Copper may last a hundred years, but apparently not if it's used to drain modern flushless urinals.

• mtvhike
    2 years ago

Why would one repipe a house? My former house was built in 1895 and was never repiped. Probably didn't have indoor plumbing because all the piping was copper.

• Bonnie K
    2 years ago

Up here in BC Canada, poly B piping is no longer to building code and as of last year insurance companies started to refuse house insurance if you didn’t have PEX or Copper piping (or were in the process of getting it done)