Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kinetico vs Culligan sediment filter

Posted by drtechno (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 21:53

Hi guys

I am putting in a sediment filter in my house, dual gradient density cartridge. I have quotes from both Kinetico and Culligan, with Kinetico being 50% more (several hundred dollars). It appears to me from the literature that both use Pentek filtration/filters. I am pretty sure both are just the "big blue" filter housing.

Is there a reason to spend more ? Are there different types of big blue housing ? (the inlet sizes and dimensions are the same)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kinetico vs Culligan sediment filter

Get a Big Blue 4x20 filter housing and you can use any of the industry standard cartridges. Don't go for the cheaper pacific rim knock-offs of the Big Blue... buy the real thing and avoid unpleasant and costly surprises..

Depending on the plumbing SFR you might need to use two Big Blue 4x20 housings in parallel to get sufficient flow rate.

When you install, insert a 1/4 turn ball valve so you can cut flow when changing cartridges and install a pressure gauge before and after the Big Blue housing so you can monitor pressure loss across the filter and will KNOW when to change the cartridges.

o

Got it. Thanks for the advice.

I have to figure out now if I want one or two 4x20 housings since the pressure drop across one is 1psi at 20 gpm, which isn't very much of a pressure drop at all.

o

"... since the pressure drop across one is 1psi at 20 gpm, which isn't very much of a pressure drop at all".

Is that spec across an empty 4x20 Big Blue?

Should vary depending on what cartridge in installed in the Big Blue and will change as the sediment builds up in the element.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here