Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Symmons Temptrol repair:

Posted by bushleague (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 21:28

Tenant threw us this one today, 20 year old Symmons Temptrol hard to turn. When I arrived handle and splined end of cartridge broken off, so off to the plumbing supply for a T10 cartridge, and a new cap, easy right? So I unscrew the whole thing together and turn the water back on, works great except I cannot turn the water off at the tub, wtf? So I screw the T-10 and compare with the old, the difference being the thick rubber gasket on the old cartridge that mates to the outer (cold?) seat, vs. the new T-10 which has a steel washer with a rubber center. I have heard of the seats being a problem, and actually recalled some years ago? Would a seat change do it? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Symmons Temptrol repair:

Hi, Been a few years sense I worked on a Symmons. They had a small lever at the bottom of the face plate that turned a diveter. They wqere always getting lost or broke. The repair we made was to change the spout with one with a diviter, that worked for us. To see if this will work for you turn on the water and try and stop it with your hand the water should come out the shower.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o
RE: Symmons Temptrol repair:

I wound up grabbing a new Temptrol at H.D. and grabbed everything I needed off of it, including the seats. As I removed the outer (cold) seat I found the steel washer from the original cartridge wedged inside it. I replaced the seats, cartridge, cap, and trimmed it out, works as new and cheaper than buying individual parts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here