Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drain / Vent Layout Question

Posted by philwgreen (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 21:02

In the process of building a garage addition that has living space above. There is a single bathroom on the second story with a lav, toilet and shower. The bathoom is 12' long with the toilet and shower on opposite ends. The main stack will pass up through the wall next to the shower.

Just getting ready to start my rough in and wanted to run my dmv diagram past everyone here. My main questions are:

1. First off, does this diagram look correct or am I way off?
2. There is a utility sink on the first floor, I know I can't vent it using the bathroom lav drain but can it connect to the lav vent in the attic? And can that vent tie back into the main stack or does it need its own roof penetration? In my drawing I have it going up through the roof.
3. My toilet is roughly 12' from the main stack so I've added a vent. Would a 2" vent be sufficient for the toilet?

Any help/feedback is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drain / Vent Layout Question

You can possibly install a wet/dry vent. Depending on where you live code might allow a Air Admittance Valve. This would eliminate cutting holes in the roof and give you more options.

Good Luck
Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Toilet ventilation system

o
RE: Drain / Vent Layout Question

The toilet vent must rise vertically from the drain line (it appears to start horizontally in the drawing)
I believe you may tie the lav vent line into the main stack vent 6" or more above the flood line of any other fixture on that vent, providing you do not exceed the permissible fixture units on that vent (which yours does not)
A 2" vent for the water closet is adequate (and is the minimum allowable)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here