Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hgiljr

Large Propane tank Installation

hgiljr
15 years ago

Hello all. I am looking at installing a 100lb propane tank at my home mainly to be used to run my generator in case of a hurricane. I live in SFLA so readiness is key. I have a portable generator which will be converting to propane. So I called one of my local propane companies and they want to charge an arm and a leg just to perform the install. The tank alone they want to charge well over $600 which is ridiculous. So I asked if I installed the tank myself per code would they service/refill and they said yes. From what I already know this is what I have to do:

1. Placement of tank must be 10 feet from any electrical source, 3 feet from window. So I have decided to place the tank in the far corner of my home, behind the shed which is way beyond 10 feet from an electrical source and from any window

2. I know I have to use galvanized piping

3. Fast release connector at the end (not sure the correct terminology)

Now here are my questions:

1. Do I need to use any type of regulator for such connection? If so what kind?

2. What size piping is needed?

3. Anything else that I am missing?

Any help or info greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Comments (7)

• jca1
    15 years ago

Your question seems almost dangerous to answer.

• hgiljr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Why is it dangerous to answer? I have seen other posts here on similiar questions and answers have been provided.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

i am willing to bet that they misunderstood and thought you meant if you HAD someone else install it. here in MS we have some of the laxest codes in the country and even here only a licensed plumber with gas certification can install permanent propane lines.

100LB is not a large tank, you can get those at HD or Lowes, so i assume you meant 100 gallon. anyway, what i have on my genny is a 100 gallon tank with a shut off valve exactly like what you see on the 20# bottles for grills. my genny has a 20 ft hose with teh regulator built in. if i need to run it, i screw on the hose and hit the switch. the generator sits far enough away to meet setbacks for the tank.

also, around here OUTSIDE gas line MUST be copper and inside lines MUST be hard line(not sure what type hard pipe though).

there should be a regulator at the tank of the size and type required for your job. depending on any number of other factors it may also require a regulator at the genset.

are there any other gas companies around you could use? we called all of them in our area and went with the one with the lowest cost since they only charged a 45.00 install fee for up to 25' of pipe. tank costs us 30.00 a year rental, and we fill it once every couple years(the installed tank supplies only the dryer). the 100 gallonn tank i have i own cause it was given to me along with teh generator.

keep in mind that your generator electrical has just as many codes as the plumbing side. install it incorrectly and BEST case scenario is you burn up the windings, worst case you kill someone or burn down your house.

just from the way you asked your questions i have to assume you don't know much of anything about what you are getting into, so in your case it is better to let the pros do it than it is to try and learn as you go.

• jca1
    15 years ago

"Why is it dangerous to answer? I have seen other posts here on similiar questions and answers have been provided."

"just from the way you asked your questions i have to assume you don't know much of anything about what you are getting into, so in your case it is better to let the pros do it than it is to try and learn as you go."

X2, not being rude...just thinking of your safety. Gas and electric are not "try it" trades, you can get hurt quickly trying to save a few $'s

• hgiljr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well yes I am not an expert in this area but consider myself very handy and I know exactly what I am getting myself into. Down here we can use galvanized tubing for outside and also need to Integral Two-Stage Regulator. I appreciate you looking out for my safety but I know exactly what the job requires, just looking for further info ect... Yes I am looking at 100 gallon for my genny and as for the electrical part that is already complete. I will call different companies to see what they say but the handful that I called are pretty much the same concept. Thanks again

• jca1
    15 years ago

OK....questions:

1- how far will tank be from generator
    2- what is btu or cfh demand of generator
    3- did generator conversion include a regulator that was mounted to the generator( note this is not the same as the zero governor which is a large silver item that resembles a regulator but has a tuning screw and a primer button)
    4- can you get your hands on refrigeration tubing(copper) and make proper flare connections( Lp gas counteracts with galvanized pipe making the pipe flake off really bad leading to trash in reg's, orifices, etc.)
    5- can you get a flexible hose, high pressure rated, to supply the generator from a quick disconnect designed for gas
    6- can you supply pictures

Don't buy anything yet

• otterhead
    15 years ago

how tiny is the generator? 100lbs isn't going to last very long and supply is going to be and issue after a natural disaster.

It looks like a 100lb tank will give you 20.5 US gal of propane. A 10kw generator will burn up to 1.6 us gal / hour.

My 10kw standby generator is supplied by 4 x 100 gal tanks daisy chained together, mind you our furnace shares the supply.

We don't get hurricanes were I live, but you can never be too prepared.