Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water softener vs environment

Posted by asolo (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 20:03

Seeing increasing questioning of whether or not residential water softeners should be banned because of environmental concerns. Issue seems to be the discarded salt.

I have used salt-based softeners for decades. Certainly that salt-water used for recharge is discarded. On the other hand, my discarded detergent residue from every source is reduced by a factor of at least 4x. And all my appliances last longer and my pipes stay clear and my outlets don't get caked up and need replacing.

So....what's the net/net balance environmentally? More detergent plus more-frequent discard of appliances vs. too much discarded salt? Never seen an analysis or report.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water softener vs environment

Conceived damage to the environment could be mitigated to a large degree and render the concern moot if softeners were correctly sized and set up for efficient operation.

To achieve that two things would need to happen...

Softener sellers would have to know what they're doing and many do not. Yes, I'm beating up on sellers in it just for the bucks and who are not competent water treatment professionals.

DIYers would have to know what they know and know what they don't know. Sorry to beat up on DIYers but you can't just change settings without knowing what the settings do. Well you can, and then you come to forums like this one to find out how to fix what you messed up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here