Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcide

alternative to leachfield for self contained septic system

bcide
14 years ago

i'm so glad to have found this forum. everyone is so helpful. here's my story. i have a 100 year old brick building in NW missouri. i have electricity, water and a toilet that is self contained but i have no way to dispose of greywater (about 250 gallons a day?). there are a couple of self contained sewage units that are attractive, but my problem would be disposing of the treated water. one odd web site mentioned to just having a holding tank and contract to a pumping company. my extreme last resort would be to chip into the stone basement walls to an outside sewer line (i'll cry). i'm open to about any reasonable suggestion. should i buy a pumping truck? contract out? any alternatives? help & thanks.

Comments (9)

• jakethewonderdog
    14 years ago

I may not understand the situation completely - but code issues aside - I don't see that going through the stone foundation is a problem.

Here's the thing from a historic preservation issue: Buildings survive their current owner. Old buildings need to be lovingly brought up to contemporary standards (like indoor plumbing) in order for them to remain viable. Non-viable buildings get torn down, either intentionally or via demolition by neglect.

It's far better to have someone who understands and appreciates the historic preservation issues do the updating than to leave it to a future owner - and possibly someone who doesn't get it.

You need to run the pipe through the foundation. Do it in a way that is least disruptive. Get some help with the preservation, design and engineering.

• bcide
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks Jake*dog. you are very correct. my biggest problem is that i live in california. at this time, i'm just gathering information for alternatives to the luxury of muni-services. the methods that i speak of are at least comparable to muni-services and even some new housing construction here in the west is advertising self contained systems with no alternatives. it has to do with the "green" thing, no nitrates in the soil & no overloading of muni sewage services. i do believe in being code compliant 100% & would accept nothing less. before i start corresponding to vendors, i was wanting to hear of the experiences of others tha dealt with this. if i have to punch a hole in the basement wall it might be for a leaching system only as there is a sizeable lot that the building sits on. but then, i'm not afraid to admit i'm wrong.

• User
    14 years ago

If municipal sewers are available, you will be required to connect to them. Septic systems are individual waste handling treatment facilities for areas without municipal waste handling treatment facilities. It's always greener (cheaper and easier) to treat the whole municipal population's waste than it is to allow piecemeal by individuals.

• bcide
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the reply live wire. what a pleasureable education i have received from purchasing this building. it truly is fun & frustrating. i actually enjoy doing brick repair work not necessarily plumbing. anyway, i do believe that my course of action will be what you & jakethewonder dog says and maybe i'll have no option. i'm still courious if somebody has actualy had no other option & money did not matter. has it been done? i've heard it has. is it miserable, fair, ok, disaster, fine? i did forget to mention that i visit the place only about four times a year for a few days at a time by myself. it's only a hobbie. the whole town has about three hundred people in it & i've been told that under this scenario it won't be an issue. if that were my primary residence, i'd have problems. i am thanful for the information & my education continues.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Aerobic systems produce clean discharge water and do not require a leach field.
    They do require more frequents maintenance since they have pumps, and need chlorine tablets added as a maintenance item.

They have 3 tanks typically, a digester/aerator tank, a chlorination tank, and a de-chlorination tank.

The water discharged from the de-chlorinator can be surface water in many places, it is now that clean.

• rjoh878646
    14 years ago

Your local health dept. will tell you what kind of system you can put in. contact them for the answers.

• jakethewonderdog
    14 years ago

So far I would say that all of the above are correct answers. I have visited homes that use composting toilets. I also know someone who has an Aerobic system and she does discharge the water to a drainage ditch. Both of these solutions were where a city sewer wasn't available.

At the same time, if there is city sewer, I believe that it is appropriate, required, the most "green" and the right answer for the viability of the building.

• bcide
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks to everybody who offered advice. at this time, i think i will heed everybody's advice & hook up to an outside sewer line (most economical). i'm pretty good at the brick/stone & mortar work, so i'll be there at every step & i'm not out any time or money on this adventure, yet, so i'm ok. i just needed advice. still, no one has yet convinced me that my original course was bad, illegal, unsanitary, fattening, non-green, etc. it's just more expensive & limiting. once again, thanks to all. my education continues.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"...no one has yet convinced me that my original course was bad, illegal, unsanitary, fattening, non-green, etc."

Ask your AHJ, but in every place municipal sewage is available I have dealt with hook up of new houses is a requirement.

Existing systems are often allowed to remain, but cannot be replaced (no new tanks, no new drain fields).

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting