Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Supply lines in outside walls or not?

Posted by Angie_DIY (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 19:12

Hi,

I am in the midst of a complete kitchen remodel. In another thread, I have been grateful to get guidance on moving the drain/vents for the kitchen sink. Now I am wondering about the supply lines.

I live in a cold climate (upper midwest). Any advice on whether it is recommended to put the supply lines in the exterior walls (and make it easier to install cabinets), or is it recommended to shoot them up through the floor and protect them from freezing (as they are now)?

It would be easiest, I think, to shoot them up through the floor after the cabinets are installed (although I am installing a marble floor). In my house, the rim joist space in the basement is bricked in (except where the drain lines go). Since I am moving the sink over a couple of stud bays, I would have to chip out those bricks to get access to the exterior wall stud bay. This certainly can be done, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to. Nonetheless, the most important consideration is the possibility of freezing pipes!

Thoughts?
THANKS! A_D

Here is a link that might be useful: My other thread about moving the drain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Supply lines in outside walls or not?

They are more vulnerable in outside walls, but inside of cabinets may not be much better without adequate insulation in the wall.

I know more than one person who has to keep the cabinet doors under the sink open (to allow more warm air to circulate inside the cabinet) at night in the winter to make sure the lines do not freeze.

o
RE: Supply lines in outside walls or not?

Thanks for the note, brickeye. I am planning to do a fiberglass blow-in blanket job. I debated pros and cons of flash and batt, but I think BIB makes the most sense overall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here