Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
home_nw

Moen faucet handles loose - - what to do?

home_nw
15 years ago

We have Moen Monticello 8" widespread faucet handles on our bathroom sinks with one lever for hot and one lever for cold. The faucet handles on one sink have become so loose that they actually can rock back and forth. I looked up the parts on Moen's website, and the part of the handle that wiggles is the top portion of what they label the "hub and elbow assembly." The part of the hub and elbow assembly that curves is what's loose (is that the elbow?).

The escutcheon and the bulbous part below the handle (is that the hub?) are firmly seated and don't wiggle. The faucets still function and don't leak, but I just know this isn't right. They seem to be getting looser every day. I'd really appreciate any advice on how to tighten them.

Thanks very much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Moen's exploded parts view of our faucet

Comments (8)

• home_nw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much, Mark! Your advice is excellent - - clear and detailed. We'll follow it exactly. We do have slightly hard water (we're on a well), so that's probably the problem. The one Monticello that's acting up is the one we use the most. I really appreciate your taking the time to share your experience and advice.

Thanks again!

• marknmt
    15 years ago

Might be worth the time, after you deal with the problem faucet and feel comfortable with the procedure, to disassemble the less used faucet and apply lots-of-lube to it, too! Could forstall future frustrations.

Thanks for your kind words and best of luck to you.

M

• home_nw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just a follow-up to share the good-news solution. I took Mark's advice and called Moen's help line at 800-289-6636.

I spoke to a very helpful Moen technician who determined that my problem was actually in the "Handle Adapter Kit." She gave me the following directions, which (knock on wood!) seem to have solved the problem:
    - Carefully unscrew the hub (that's the bulbous part right above the escutcheon)
    - Carefully pull up on the whole faucet and lift the whole hub and elbow assembly out
    - Turn the hub and elbow assembly upside down
    - Refer to the exploded drawing of the Handle Adapter Kit. The bottom arrow on the drawing of this kit points to a small Phillips Head screw.
    - With a smaller size Phillips Head screwdriver, tighten the screw quite tight.
    - Re-attach the hub and elbow assembly by holding the handle firmly in place and screwing the hub until it's snug.

That's it! No need to even turn off the water. The Tech said this is one of the easiest repairs to make. If even I can do it, she must be right...

So my advice is to take Mark's advice and start by calling Moen. They're very helpful and are able to ask the right questions to be sure you're doing what you need to do.

• marknmt
    15 years ago

I'm glad that worked for you- and ain't it nice to know that once you get into a problem you can solve it!? Moen Customer Service sets a good example for any company.

Best again,

M

• mewhee
    12 years ago

Thanks to both of you I now have a set of Monticello faucet handles which no longer wobble.

Great info !!!

Will and the Furry Ones in the OC

• Sid23
    12 years ago

Boy I have just about the exact same faucet and I have tightened the handle before but now can't remember how I did it. We cannot figure out how to get it apart! No set screws or any thing and the "bulbous" part will not unscrew. It needs tightening again. How do I take the darn thing apart?

• PRO
    Nolan
    3 years ago

Thanks for the advice