Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fix Tub Faucet Drip?

Posted by annec (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 17:42

Bathtub faucet drips. Can't see the brand. Removed the escutcheon, see pipes. Anyway, trying to remove the handle, I noticed there's no screw, but what looks like a stem inside the hole on the underside of the handle. Anybody know what that is?

I'd have to remove the tub surround to get at the pipes. I hope I can fix it without doing that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fix Tub Faucet Drip?

I doubt that getting to the pipes would be of any help, anyway. Could it be that the hole you see is where the set screw should be but the handle is held firm by corrosion and/or a tight fit?
Is this a single control handle unit or are there two separate valves?

o

It's a new single-handle Delta Monitor. I just bought the house in April. It was a flip....

It does look like there should be something there. I might try a plumbing supply store or something for a set screw, then.

o

Sounds like the set screw requires a hex wrench.

o

I have a drip in the bathtub since the house was built. My neighbor did also. She called the plumber when the house was new and it still leaked after he fixed it. They said something about a bit of something stuck inside was the problem. That's true with mine I think. I find that if I turn it on and off a couple of times it doesn't drip any more.

o

I removed the handle with an allen wrench but there are no proper washers, just a plastic disc and other plastic parts. Now what?

o

http://www.masterplumber.net/delta/monitor.htm

o

Remove the cartridge and check for debris in the valve body and damage on the sealing faces.

These are cartridge faucets and do not use old style washers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here