Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willinak

Filtered water faucet acting like a fool.

willinak
9 years ago

I have a newly installed single supply faucet connected to a water (charcoal) filter. When I open the faucet the flow starts then stops almost immediately. However I can get water to flow, albeit slowly, by opening the valve very slowly until I get a flow. If I go past that point, it shuts down again.
I have the refrigerator on the same supply and it flows quite well.
I'm thinking there is something wrong with the faucet, but if I replace the faucet and I still have the problem I will not be happy.
Any ideas?

Comments (10)

• justalurker
    9 years ago

You could disassemble the faucet to clean but that might void the warranty.

Call the manufacturer's customer service department or return it for another one or a refund.

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the followup, but I've been living with this for too long. Out of warranty and the plumber left town, so I decided to tackle this DYI. I know it's a sad story! ;)

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If anyone has an idea where the problem may be, I'd love to hear it.

• justalurker
    9 years ago

You either have a flow problem through the filter element or the line to the faucet or the faucet itself. If the supply line to the filter is using a saddle valve that could be the problem. Saddle vales are problems and water leaks just waiting to happen and should be replaced with a proper adapter and shut-off valve.

You can shut the water to the filter and disconnect the line at the faucet. Turn the water back on and see if you have good flow from the line.

If you do then without knowing what faucet you have or seeing a picture I can't tell you how to disassemble.

If all this confuses you then call a plumber or water treatment pro and they'll have it figured out in a few minutes and you'll learn something by watching them. Consider the cost tuition.

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good advice, thanks!

"You can shut the water to the filter and disconnect the line at the faucet. Turn the water back on and see if you have good flow from the line."

That's seems a logical starting point!

• justalurker
    9 years ago

The most logical starting point is if you have a saddle valve that should be replaced with a correct adapter and valve. Often the piercing point snaps off and remains in the line it punctured.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

But if he has a saddle valve supplying the filter, he has low flow to start with, something not borne out with the fridge's having no problem, so it ain't the filter or pre-filter.

A diagnostic shortcut might be to take the manual valve's feed off of the fridge supply line, and that could be done with a barbed tee assuming it is flex. That puts the post-filter end points on an equal footing for troubleshooting. However, all this is said without knowing the plumbing's reality.

• justalurker
    9 years ago

Regardless, a saddle valve is a massive water leak waiting to happen and can be contributing to the problem.

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, I don't have a saddle valve.

• justalurker
    9 years ago

"No, I don't have a saddle valve". Then there's one less thing to troubleshoot.

Since the fridge gets good flow and the line to the fridge must T off before the faucet then odds are the problem is in the faucet.

Shut off the water and disconnect the line from the filter to the faucet. Turn the water on. If there's good flow then the problem is in the faucet. Reconnect the line.

Either identify the brand and model faucet or post a picture. Most can be disassembled and cleaned. If not then buy a new faucet that fits where the old one goes and has the same size hose connection.