Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1940's tub/shower has 4 valves - are replacements available?

Posted by fice-t-pants (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 17:26

I would like to keep the tub/shower the original way the house was built. Are the necessary valves still available?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1940's tub/shower has 4 valves - are replacements available?

Likely not available but even if they're not, repairs can usually be made as long as it's not deteriorated by corrosion.

Typical repairs might involve replacing a seat washer, packing the stem, lubricating the stem, and finally replacing the seat. That would be the hardest thing to find and match, so you need an old-school hardware store with drawers full of them. You remove the one you got, if you're at this last resort stage, and size it exactly. That's the only way to do it.

o

I see nothing that can't be replaced and configured exactly as they are now. Finding a matching phone might be difficult LOL

o

Wow love that tile, and all those valves and water outlets look like the trendy showers of the last decade. Would never have guessed this was from the 1940s.

o

thanks for the suggestions. The phone works great - no need to replace...my dad and his toys!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here