Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suction Hose?

Posted by patrick3 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 16:48

I have a 2 inch pump and am trying to draw water from a creek, approximately a 20 foot rise. The pump is not a submersible, so this will be suction hose, about 75 feet.

I have tried Flex PVC but it has collapsed and is a bear to put away, heavy and stiff. Expensive too.

What type of hose should I use? The pump manufacturer suggested 1.5 or 2 inch hose.

Thanks!

Neo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suction Hose?

Need to know precisely what type of pump you have

o

20 feet rise is quite a lot for suction. If it works, pumping efficiency will be poor. Get the pump nearer the water supply (lower) if at all possible. Black polyethylene is not really flexible but is about the lowest cost piping that can be used for suction.
Pumps do suction poorly, they deliver water out from the pump very well.

o

I have a Flotec 5172, 1.5h, sprinkler pump/w a pressure tank.

Laying out and collecting 75' of the the 2" flex is a chore, but it was worth it. As I mentioned, it worked well drawing water through a 75' 2" flex PVC. Primed, it pumped well for years every Saturday or so.

Oddly enough, the check valve ripped/broke, and about 8' of the flex PVC collapsed.

I need to replace the flex pipe, but had a shock when I priced it. If I swap it out, I'd prefer something less likely to collapse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here