Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with a shop bathroom

Posted by baj1093 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 16:46

I built a 40X60 steel building and framed a small bathroom inside. I framed it 7ft. tall with a platform above for storage. The buiding itself has 14ft. sidewalls I have everything in place, (toilet, sink, shower). The drains go to a private septic system underground. Also, I have no code requirements out where I am building. My question is:

Can I use an air admittance valve for the whole bathroom instead of a vent pipe through the roof, so I don't have to go through the metal roof? A local plumber I know says that it is fine, but not sure I am completely convinced. I would really like to get away from going through the roof. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with a shop bathroom

Even where there are "no codes" for building, there ARE codes for human waste disposal. Your health department regulates septic systems and will permit them only after the proper testing is done. This is a public health issue.

So, I suspect that you really want to avoid going through the roof with a vent so as not to tip off your neighbors and county officials that you've put in an illegal septic system. Any "plumber" who suggests an AAV for the whole bathroom venting is NOT a plumber and should not be allowed to touch your pipes. What you have may not be under local building codes, but your state does follow some national building codes and you would be wise to contruct anything according to their guidelines. IF you want any type of insurance or resale ability at a later time that is.

o
RE: help with a shop bathroom

An AAV is not designed to ever be the sole or only vent in a building.

It is only designed to be a supplementary vent when there is at least 1 vent to fresh air.

You should therefore never use an AAV in this situation because it will actually cause problems with venting if you do.

Instead run a standard vent through a side wall or gable end if you don't want to run it through the metal roof.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here