Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where is the leak?

Posted by bill57r (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 16:31

Water had very slowly be leaking past the flapper in the toilet tank of my American Standard toilet, causing my Fluidmaster float to periodically replace the water in the tank. I replaced the flapper, and water is still leaving the tank very slowly. The rubber flapper seems to be seating OK. So, how is the level in the tank slowly lowering? What should I look for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where is the leak?

Even though the rubber flapper looks and appears seating properly be sure to use a rag and wipe clean all the scum and foreign matters that the rubber flapper seats on.

o

Did you use a brand name flapper for replacement or an unknown brand?

The coarser back of a dish washing sponge works great for burnishing off the unseen mung on flapper valve seats. A light touch does the trick.

o

The identical replacement at my local hardware store was Ace Hardware brand. It was the only one exactly like my old one.
I tried cleaning the surface where the flapper rests with a cloth. I'll try something coarser.

o

The Fluidmaster reds and the Korkys seem to be very reliable.

o

I cleaned the surface, and I think the water is getting by somewhere else. But where?

o

I have seen instances where a new flapper just didn't seal. Try a new flapper.

Is the water in the tank rising to the level of the overflow tube?

o

There is a possibility of a hairline crack in the seat you cleaned with the rag.

o

First guess is the flapper and seal.

I have seen situations where the valve was replaced and the fill tube was too long. Instead of trimming it to length, the previous person just pushed it down the overflow tube. The result is that it slowly siphoned the water from the tank.

Since this is a new valve, check to see if the fill tube is too long.

o

Thank you, all! I returned the flapper that would not seat properly, and replaced it with a Fluidmaster flush valve Repair Kit. Seems to be a way better system. My desire to stay with as close to original as possible, wasted a lot of time and caused a lot of frustration.

o

Usually the most obvious solution is the correct one.

It'a hard to beat the Fluidmaster stuff for price and reliability.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here