Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well Water: Staining Yellow

Posted by chunter (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 07 at 15:54

I have a well with a water softener system. For some reason my water leaves yellow stains in my vanity sink, coffee maker and toilet bowls. I haven't noticed an objectionable odor or anything odd with the water otherwise - except that it seems to have a lot of minerals in it.

I really know nothing about the water softener system other than I put salt in it.

Any ideas what's up with my water?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well Water: Staining Yellow

If you've read through any of the other softener posts, this will sound like a broken record, but here goes: Get your water tested by an independent lab. Take liter samples of water before and after the softener to see what is in your water and how much of it the softener is (or is not) removing. You will find out quickly if your softener is doing its job. You want to know: calcium, magnesium, iron, pH, TDS (total dissolved solids), manganese, alkalinity (all 3 kinds), sulfur, sulfur dioxide, chloride, bacteria, etc. If you ask for a complete water test, like what they would do for a city water system, you will get all of that and more. Once you have the tests in hand, then some of us on GW can help steer you in the right direction to solve the problem. You will likely end up speaking to a local water treatment professional to help you make your current system operate properly or get the correct treatment system in place.

There are a variety of metals or metal/mineral combinations that can result in yellow staining, the most likely of which is iron. A well-designed softener can handle iron, up to a point. Very high iron requires a separate treatment method. However, this is premature until you have the water test results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here