Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Showerhead Drip...recently developed

Posted by ontherocks (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 15:46

Within the past month or so, I have noticed that my shower head has been dripping non-stop. The knob is a single type (the lift and turn type for lack of a better definition) and I have ensured it is turned all the way off. I have gone as far as removing the knob and making sure there was nothing that could have blocked the stop, preventing it from turning all the way off. I've also replaced the shower head with a new one...still dripping..

What would be causing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Showerhead Drip...recently developed

The valve is leaking. Fix it or replace it. Or hire someone to do it for you. Some valves have fixable/replaceable guts. Some don't.

The shower head itself has nothing to do with it.

o

I would strongly lean towards fixing it. Start by finding out what brand it is, then call the mfr. and request the replacement parts. Many have a lifetime warranty so they should be free. If you can't wait, just hire someone. They can probaly buy the parts locally.

Moen and Delta parts are easy to get. I recently had to repair an American Standard shower valve and had to order the parts from the mfr. (free, but still had to wait).

o

Well it was the valve (or cartridge as I have since learned is the proper name) causing the leak. I went with a replacement vs trying to repair it. A quick run to the local HomeDepot and 15-minutes later...no more leak.

Thank you for the insight and guidance.

o

Whoa, success!

thanks for coming back and telling us about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here