Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas leak repair question - Insurance?

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 15:02

Hello - my elderly father just informed me last night (we live 150 miles away) that my parents smelled gas in the basement & upon calling a couple of plumbers to investigate were told that the pipe carrying the gas from outside &above the basement ceiling was leaking.

The gas pipe runs from where it is connected to the outside of the house - runs above the basement ceiling - across 3 rooms to the various connections on the other side of the basement. Approximately ~40 ft.

Luckily the ceiling is open in the room where it enters the house & also open where it connects to all its distribution points. But the ceiling is closed in between in the 2nd room (gym).

My father's recount of the plumbers' estimates is that it appears the leak is closer to where the gas entry is & therefore over a non-closed ceiling.

My questions are:

1) The gas company won't take responsibility for any gas issues within the house - is this true?

2) If the leak is indeed over an unclosed ceiling - can the pipe be replaced without tearing down the middle room's ceiling?

3) One plumber is charging $1600 but requires permitting & no replacement of ceiling.
Another is quoting $2100 with no permits & no ceiling cutting. Appropriate for the work or reasonable?

4) Is this where insurance is worth a call?

Would appreciate the community's feedback on this please.

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas leak repair question - Insurance?

"1) The gas company won't take responsibility for any gas issues within the house - is this true?"

You won the lines after the meter.

"2) If the leak is indeed over an unclosed ceiling - can the pipe be replaced without tearing down the middle room's ceiling?"

Depends on details not present here.

"3) One plumber is charging $1600 but requires permitting & no replacement of ceiling.
Another is quoting $2100 with no permits & no ceiling cutting. Appropriate for the work or reasonable?"

Call your AHJ.
Some places may consider it enough of a repair to not require a permit, many others will not.

"4) Is this where insurance is worth a call?

Insurance does not usually cover maintenance.

o
RE: Gas leak repair question - Insurance?

Sound advice. Thanks brickeyee.

You folks here are real life savers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here