Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
f1668065

If main water supply valve is closed...

f1668065
9 years ago

...where it enters the house, while trying to locate a 1st floor plumbing leak in the house for an extended period of days, would you keep the hot water heater COLD valve open as it is when it normally runs (see green ball valve lever sticking straight up on pipe furthest to the right in pic) or close it too?

And how do you deal with pressure and/or air in the pipes, when turning the main back on to test it and/or when fixed?

FWIW, this is for a 2 story home with electric hot water heater... no furnace.

Thanks! ;)

This post was edited by f1668065 on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 18:38

Comments (11)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

It makes no difference to the function of the HW Htr. wether or not the valve is open or closed.

What does make a difference, is if the power is still on. It should be off.

When you have the repairs accomplished, open all the valves on all the fixtures. Then open the main valve slightly until you hear water flow. Starting on the hose bibs and the first floor, If you have single handle faucets, alternately switch from hot to cold until the water flows consistently, then shut the valve off. Continue until all are bled and off, then open the main all the way and turn the power back on to the water heater.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

It is good practice to shut off the heat supply to the water heater if the water supply is off- especially if the heater is electric. There is more than one potential way that a non-pressurized heater can drain at least part of the water. If the heater element in an electric heater is powered when dry, it will burn out the element very quickly.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great, thanks!
    Now, if I could just find the darn breaker...I turned off one that said "water pump" but the ac went warm ooops.

What about before I have my repairs accomplished, do I have to open all the valves and bleed as you described, each time I turn the water back on to test while I "leak detect"?

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Not necessarily, just be careful not to turn the water on full pressure, just enough to pressurize.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great, thanks!
    The main has a ball joint valve just like on top of the water heater i.e. "open" or "close". That said, should I still be able to find somewhere in between full "open" & "close" in order to not to turn the water on full pressure?

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

"should I still be able to find somewhere in between full "open" & "close" in order to not to turn the water on full pressure?"

Sure, just barely crack the valve and listen to it squeal. But your question is a good one as it is in fact difficult to 'throttle' with a ball valve.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great, thanks!
    Hopefully this is not a stupid question...but would I be doing any damage to anything by filling the toilet tank with rain water to flush the toilet, while the main is closed?

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

A better system would be a bucket of water available, or a "thunder mug" by the back door.

• klem1
    9 years ago

would I be doing any damage to anything by filling the toilet tank with rain water to flush the toilet,?

Not at all.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great, thanks!

Turning on the water and trying to pressurize was kind of like finding the sweet spot while driving a clutch...but eventually got it...just had to be patient. Now, if I can find the darn breaker on the hot water heater end the stupid leak itself.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Yep, being patient is a virtue.

Short of identifying a specific breaker, you can shut the main off.

Or, hire someone to remove the dead front panel on the service, because there may have been some "entrepreneurial" wiring going on where they have tapped into several breaker feeds for the power to the hot water heater.