Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper Repiping - Picking a plumber

Posted by sng99 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 14:26

We bought our first house (3BD/2Bath, 1400 sqft) which is 50 years old in SF Bay Area that probably needs the repiping (the sellers said that when they come back from vacation, they have seen yellowish water - this tells me the we might need to repipe).

I contacted a couple of repiping companies and the bids are way off (on the copper repiping). One company gave me a bid for $5200 and the other for $9500. When I asked the company with the higher bid to reduce their price, the guy talked about how companies use chinese made pipes (isn't this just copper ..how does this matter) and also the workman ship may not be good etc..

So, I am hoping the experts here can help me with the questions that I need to ask these companies to evaluate and find out he best plumber with the right price.

These are the questions I have so far:

- What kind of copper piping will be used ? The diameter of the pipes, guage (thickness) etc..
- Types of fittings, fixtures..
- How do you patch the holes that are made in the dry wall ?
- 3 references (customers)

Anything else ?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper Repiping - Picking a plumber

Have you seen 'yellowish water'?
If so, did you take a sample and have it tested?
Is the current piping copper?
Is there evidence of leaking?
How old is the water heater?
Why not CPVC instaed of copper?

o

randy427,

No. I haven't seen yellowish water yet. I am planning to test it (can I do this myself ? or do I need to get some professional to do this).

The current piping is old galvanised iron and there is not evidence of leaking. The water heater I am told is about 10-15 yrs old.

Some plumbers have recommended to stay away from CPVC. People only talk about PEX or Copper.

o

CPVC freezes more quickly than Copper or Pex, I have been told.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here