Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water sofener brine tank over flowing, Help!

Posted by charlie3238 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 14:26

Hey guys, Great forum! We recently bought our first house and haven`t had many problems until now. I have an older rainsoft water softener model# AM1054CT. The brine tank recently overflowed and I`m trying to figure out why.
There is no float to speak of in the brine tank, Just a pvc tube with a hose going to the bottom of it. On the main filter unit there is a small canister filled with water that has a small plastic ball in it which I assume shuts off the water to the brine tank. The problem is the ball just floats in the middle and won`t go up and stop the flow unless I pull the hose off and put my finger over the exit hole. At this point I`ve tried everything so before I pour a bag of salt back in and hope for the best do you have any suggestions?? If pictures would help I`ll take some. Thanks! charlie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water sofener brine tank over flowing, Help!

Pictures would help a lot.

I'm not intimately familiar with Rainsoft softeners so the following is generic info...

When brine tanks overflow it's usually for one of two reasons.

Either the control valve or brine valve is malfunctioning and not shutting off the water flow to the brine tank after the correct amount of water has been put in at the end of regeneration OR...

The control valve is not sucking out the brine during regeneration and is putting the correct amount of water back in the brine tank at the end of regeneration so the water accumulates till the tank overflows.

BEFORE YOU PUT MORE SALT IN THE BRINE TANK make sure the brine line from the brine tank is clear and unobstructed with no kinks and make sure all the fittings are tight and not leaking any air..

Make sure the softener drain line from the control valve to the drain is clear and unobstructed with no kinks.

Make sure there is no hardened salt block around the brine pickup in the brine tank. If there is use hot tap water to dissolve the block and discard that salt and then add a bag of fresh salt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here