Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CODE(s) for handwashing sink in Restaurant kitchen?

Posted by fixizin (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 13:24

A friend of many years, she went and did it--yep, bought herself a restaurant, fully equipped (more or less). Me, I can't resist helping her iron out a few plumbing problems.

One item that jumped out at me was a Rube Goldberg looking rat's nest underneath a simple, single-faucet, stainless steel handwashing sink... a check valve on both the hot and cold inlets, and an anti-scald mixer (thermostatic) valve... is this Code? I ask because I see no such devices on the many "prep" sinks.

What really stands out--and WILL be re-done--is the way it was all cobbled together with klunky compression fittings, and about twice the number of joints needed... Yet Another "plumber" who's afraid of sweat soldering... did I mention the comp fittings are all loaded up with teflon tape?... that's always a give-away... You guessed it--one small adjustment of the sink-to-wall fit and multiple leaks sprouted, lol. Flex hoses for the short-term fix.

Summary: are the check valves and anti-scald device Code Required on any OR ALL sinks in a commercial kitchen?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CODE(s) for handwashing sink in Restaurant kitchen?

Cannot speak to the code that might or might not apply in that jurisdiction. Check valves not required in my area. The check valves in the supply are not a bad idea. They prevent water from the sink or faucet being drawn back into the supply piping if the supply piping should experience a negative pressure.
An episode of the TV series Quincy, M.E. with Jack Klugman featured this problem. The problem is called "cross contamination". I think the episode is Season 5, episode 21 "Deadly Arena".
Suppose that the restaurant is located on a hill. Someone hooks a hose to the spout on the faucet to wash vegetables in the sink. Some dirty water is standing in the sink. The open hose end is in that standing water. A large fire breaks out nearby at a lower elevation. The hydrants are used such that the water pressure up the hill at the restaurant becomes lower than atmospheric ( vacuum). Dirty water could be drawn into the supply system from the sink.
Plumbing is two distinct systems which are NEVER interconnected. One is SUPPLY, the other is DWV.
Faucet spouts (by code) never extend down below the flood rim level of sinks and tubs so that an air gap always exists between the two to prevent cross contamination.
It is reported that a prominent physician said that modern plumbing has done more to improve the health of the American people than has all of medical science.

o
RE: CODE(s) for handwashing sink in Restaurant kitchen?

That is excellent background info, and we thank you.

Still, very curious that the prep sinks, where raw meat and such is rinsed off, appear to not have any backflow-prevention devices. =:O

'tis indeed difficult to find links to the actual IPC/UPC Codes, or whatever authority has jurisdiction... will check local building dept. website... some locales actually have their "sierra" together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here