Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fixizin

CODE(s) for handwashing sink in Restaurant kitchen?

fixizin
9 years ago

A friend of many years, she went and did it--yep, bought herself a restaurant, fully equipped (more or less). Me, I can't resist helping her iron out a few plumbing problems.

One item that jumped out at me was a Rube Goldberg looking rat's nest underneath a simple, single-faucet, stainless steel handwashing sink... a check valve on both the hot and cold inlets, and an anti-scald mixer (thermostatic) valve... is this Code? I ask because I see no such devices on the many "prep" sinks.

What really stands out--and WILL be re-done--is the way it was all cobbled together with klunky compression fittings, and about twice the number of joints needed... Yet Another "plumber" who's afraid of sweat soldering... did I mention the comp fittings are all loaded up with teflon tape?... that's always a give-away... You guessed it--one small adjustment of the sink-to-wall fit and multiple leaks sprouted, lol. Flex hoses for the short-term fix.

Summary: are the check valves and anti-scald device Code Required on any OR ALL sinks in a commercial kitchen?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x