Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
loose kitchen faucet

Posted by Ginny20 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 13:04

My Moen single handle pull-down, installed 9/11, has come loose where it meets the counter and the whole thing swings around when you move the handle. I wrote Moen, and they said this can sometimes happen and we can just tighten it. So my DH did, which wasn't easy. He needed to use pliers because you really can't get a wrench up there perpendicular to the fitting. A month later, it's loose again. He tightened it again, although it's still not entirely tight now. He commented that maybe there was supposed to be a locking washer or nut or something (sorry, I don't know much, when I was in school girls only got to take home ec). Anyway, is this common? Is there a special 90 degree angled wrench you can use to tighten it? Should I contact the guy who put it in or just get another plumber to come look at it?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: loose kitchen faucet

What you need is a tool called a "Basin Wrench"

You can find a basin wrench in the Plumbing section of any hardware store or home supply like lowes or home depot.

A professional basin wrench has a telescoping handle and sells for about $35 but that would be major overkill for the average homeowner....

They make a homeowner grade that usually has a red handle for about $12 to $15 and it should last a lifetime in the home.

They are very easy to use, but sort of difficult to explain in words....I would suggest you go to a real hardware store where you will get a clerk who actually knows what they are talking about and they can explain it in a minute or less.

o
RE: loose kitchen faucet

That's it! Thanks, lazypup! I googled basin wrench and I can see how it is exactly what we need to do this. I prefer patronizing my local hardware store anyway, so I'll check there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here