Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washing Machine Hookup

Posted by sirraf69 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 12:12

We are building a new home and my wife wants the washer/dryer on the exterior wall. I've read that's not a good idea due to cold weather and pipes. Is it possible to place the washer/dryer on the exterior wall and place the hookups on the interior wall? I have attached a photo to give you an idea. How far can you extend water lines and drain line? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washing Machine Hookup

My washer and dryer are on an outside wall - great for the dryer exhaust.

The washer water connections and drain are on the inside wall about 18" from the outside wall.

Never a problem here in the MD suburbs of DC.

o

Having the supply/drain pipes in an outside wall MIGHT be a bad idea if you have an older house (i.e. wall cavities ventilated to the outside) or live in a particularly cold climate where freezing pipes is a legitimate concern. Washer supply and drain lines are simply flexible hoses, so as long as you have a few inches of clearance, routing them to the side of machine for hookups really works exactly like routing them behind for hookups.

Check with your builder to see what they recommend and regarding the wall cavity construction. You could always apply spray foam to the walls in that room to keep the pipes temperature fluctuations down.

Dan

o

sirraf69,

What is your general location? (how cold does it get?).

The truth is that you can put plumbing on the outside wall if you are careful about it. The plumbing should be located close to the interior wall surface with plenty of insulation between the plumbing and the exterior and none between the plumbing and the interior.

I use 2" of Rmax board (have to layer it) in the stud space between the plumbing and the exterior to give me an R12 (plus whatever's on the outside). I make sure the RMax fits snug and then I foam the edges with a can of foam sealant. You should also put RMax or fiberglass in the open space between the sides of the studs and the plumbing to prevent the cold that's being conducted through the studs from getting to the pipes. I haven't had that freeze even down to -15 F.

You also have to watch where the plumbing comes through the joist space and make sure that's well insulated between the outside and the plumbing.

Pex supply lines are less susceptible to freeze damage also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here