Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building over well water supply pipe

Posted by bluebirdnut (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 11:27

I have a question regarding building a detached garage over an existing well water supply line. Our town's zoning regulations regarding setbacks, etc. are such that about the only place we can practically place a new detached garage is on top of the area where the well water supply pipe is currently running. Does anyone know whether it is even permissible to do so in NY State, and if so, how we can find out exactly where and how deep the water supply line is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building over well water supply pipe

Given the restrictions that you described, I would be inclined to decide if an alternate route for the pipe is available if the garage should be built and the pipe should fail at some point thereafter. Will adequate access to the well itself be available?
If the answers are yes, I would just not mention the pipe at all-- and build the garage. It is unlikely that any official record exists of the location of the pipe and even if it does, it is unlikely that any official will bother to look for it.

o
RE: Building over well water supply pipe

Murphy WILL strike. Reroute the pipe before building the garage. Or, you may have some weeks of downtime during a blizzard or 100 degree heat while that gets done. All with you not having water during that time. Better to address the new route while the old one is still serviceable in place. That way, you're only without water for the small time it takes to switch it over to the new line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here