Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sour Smelling Kitchen Sink Drain

Posted by riak (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 11:14

I NEED HELP! There is a sour smell eminating from my kitchen drains as well as the master bath shower drain, but no other drains. I have been doing some google searching so first of all let me point out that I do not have a garbage disposal. The smell is not a sulfur or rotten egg smell but is exactly like the smell of boiled eggs. I have tried the baking soda/vinegar remedy, as well as pouring a bleach/water mixture down them. Nothing has worked. Also, I am on city water and have a septic tank, not city sewage, and as I have said, the smell only comes from the two areas mentioned above, not all drains. Any ideas as to what might be causing the smell and how to get rid of it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sour Smelling Kitchen Sink Drain

clogged vent maybe. if it is clogged the trap will empty and let the gases vet into the house. pour about a half cup or so of water in each and do not use them for an hour. if the smell is gone, then the problem is the vents. usually you can see the vents coming out the roof directly above the fixture, so you just go up and remove the birds nest or insects cloggin it. some cases it won't be that simple and you may have to get a pro in to clear them.

also, if the plumbing is real old it may just have gunk built up that smells. you should be able to look into the drain and see it if it does. get a flexible brush like for cleaning baby bottles and use it to clean the drains down to the trap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here