Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about 3' sewer pipe

Posted by Joezip (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 11:01

I am helping my daughter with a new house, Am ready to start the rough plumbing this weekend. Looking at Lowes I see they have 3" sch 40 PVC for $24.22 per 10'

http://www.lowes.com/pd_87669-1814-PVC+07300++0600_0__?productId=3135451&Ntt=3%22+pvc+pipe&pl=1¤tURL=/pl__0__s%3FNtt%3D3%2522%2Bpvc%2Bpipe&facetInfo=

They also have 3" x 10' PVC Sewer and Drain Pipe for $9.47 per 10' these have belled ends.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=24164-1814-PVC+30030++0600&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3133165&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I have to run about 60' which will be overhead in the basement. I know the old saying "you get what u pay for" but will the cheaper work just as well or no?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about 3' sewer pipe

Code requires that all PVC DWV (drain, waste & vent) pipe used inside the structure MUST BE PVC-schedule 40 and the pipe MUST BE specifically labelled on the pipe wall as conforming to ASTM-D-2665.

All joints on the PVC must be solvent weld joints (glued) and the Glue must be specifically labelled as approved for PCV pipe.

In addition, code requires that all joints MUST BE cleaned with an approved PVC Solvent Primer before applying the glue.

You will note when buying the primer that it is made in both clear and purple dye. While both primers are the same, it is highly recommended (and required in some jurisdictions) that you use the solvent/cleaner with the purple dye so the inspector can be assured that you used the primer.

On a horizontal run the pipe must be supported within one foot of any change of direction and a hanger for each 48" of run. Metal hangers, metal wire or metal strapping is prohibited. You must use approved plastic hangers or plastic perf strapping.

Here is a side note they don't tell you in most DIY books. The pipe must be hung in such a manner that the writing on the pipe wall is clearly visible. If you happen to put a pipe with the writing against a wall or hung from a ceiling with the writing on top some hard Azz inspectors will red tag it on the premise that they cannot read the information to confirm it is the correct type of pipe.

o
RE: Question about 3' sewer pipe

Thanks lazypup, thats the kind of stuff I need to know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here