Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xracer_gw

pumphouse alert

xracer
12 years ago

we have a well with a pumphouse. sometimes the pump will fail for various reasons. we would like to devise a way to alert us from a mile away that the pump is not pumping. one idea under consideration is a pressure switch hooked to a red light on top of the pumphouse. how have others handled this? is there a more hi tech solution?

Comments (17)

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

A pressure switch with a light as you describe would seem to be the most straight-forward. If you want low-tech, but more difficult (Who would not!), hook a transparent tube to the pressurized water. Raise the top of the tube higher than the max pressure head of the system and support it. Put a brightly-colored ball in the tube. Figure out where the ball will rest with the normal low pressure condition before the pump kicks in and hook markers to the tube at the high and low pressure positions. Observe with binoculars. Note that this will only work when it is light enough to see the pump house.

Note also that you will need 28 inches of water/psi so you will need a sizable tower unless there is a steep hill adjacent ;-) With a tower that high, you can convert to wind power for the pump.

• maryland_irisman
    12 years ago

In addition to the light, you could also incorporate an audible alarm similar to those used for burgler/fire. If you are wanting to do it on the cheap, use a car horn. There are wireless monitoring systems available also.

• xracer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

can you point me to some wireless options?

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

There are some driveway alarms that have ranges of a mile and more. I don't know if the probe connection could be modified to contact closure. The way video transmission technology has developed, you could probably point a cheap camera at the pressure gauge and transmit it over a mile to a monitor. You could look in the same places you would to find a nanny cam.

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding
    12 years ago

Tech: Pressure indicator + transmitter that sends a signal to your computer or your phone, or to a remote readout in your home.

Low-tech: Open a faucet - if no water comes out, go fix the pump.

Reality is, anything you put in place to tell you the pump has ceased to function, will likely not give you any faster indication. Just have appropriate parts on hand and be ready to go fix it. Spending your time and money on regularly scheduled inspections and maintenance will do you more good.

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

What is the pump supplying, barn, livestock tank, irrigation? I assumed it was not the house.

• asolo
    12 years ago

Pressure switch plus transmitter and receiver.

Or.... you can monitor almost anything you want out there and receive remote feedback. The internet is littered with alternatives from cheap to incredibly expensive. Do a little research on your own, please.

• xracer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"What is the pump supplying, barn, livestock tank, irrigation? I assumed it was not the house"

a large tank and then a 40 lot development. people are not happy when the tank runs dry.

• xracer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Pressure switch plus transmitter and receiver.
    Or.... you can monitor almost anything you want out there and receive remote feedback. The internet is littered with alternatives from cheap to incredibly expensive. Do a little research on your own, please."

ok smart a**. if the internet is littered with systems how hard would it be to give me a few. i havent found much. there is no phone or internet available.

• maryland_irisman
    12 years ago

asolo was right, there are more choices on the web than I myself cared to count. I just Googled for "wireless water tank alarms" and there were so many pages that came back, I was surprised. Here's one that came back that looks promising for your situation, give it a try.... http://www.globalw.com/products/alarm.html

If you want to stay with your original thought of just a light, why not just put a float switch in the tank that would turn on the light and maybe a horn or siren or buzzer when the water drops below a certain level.

• xracer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Here's one that came back that looks promising for your situation, give it a try.... http://www.globalw.com/products/alarm.html "

that one detects water. not the lack of it.but the sensor isnt the problem. a simple pressure switch can do that. a means of alerting someone up to a mile away without the use of internet or phone line is what i would like ideas on.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"a mile away without the use of internet or phone line is what i would like ideas on."

If you have a clear line of sight the bulb is likely to be the most cost effective.

You already have two eyes (of some quality).

• maryland_irisman
    12 years ago

xracer,

You are being very difficult toward people trying to help you. Go back to the site and read the dam* thing. When ordering, you must specify WHEN ORDERING whether you want a sensor to detect Water or AIR. And this is just one site. I gave you the key words for doing a google search. I already have people who expect me to do all their work for them so I'm backing out of this thread. Good luck to you.

• windslam
    12 years ago

This smells like someone wants you guys to design an alarm system for a municipal water supply. Now XRACER, if you have a paypal account we can work something out. I'll do all your research and leg work, package a system exactly the way you want and ship it to you for a fee. 1 mile, 2 miles even 1000 miles, whatever distance you want and whatever single or combination of alarm choices you want. And for an additional fee, I'll come install it.

• xracer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

what a bunch of aholes. in the op i asked a simple question."how have others handled this? is there a more hi tech solution?" maybe if you have not had a situation like this to handle you should have just kept your opinions to yourself.

• asolo
    12 years ago

Well, isn't that precious. Now that you've risen to the top of everyone's shitlist, you'll have more time to research on your own.

• windslam
    12 years ago

From what I observed, everyone diligently answered your question to which you dismissed most, didn't read their information. Then you wanted more, you wanted everyone else to search the web for you instead of you yourself taking their advice and doing the research. Just another one of those who think you are entitled to everyone Else's time and efforts doing your work for you, and for free yet. What a loser.