Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slow draining sink with water in wall pipes

Posted by jreagan (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 10:30

I have a slow draining sink. I think: "No problem. Just perhaps some black slime in the trap" [I've had that before in a different sink]

The sink drains but it is very slow. The other things in the bathroom (toilet, shower) seem to flush/drain just fine.

So I put a bucket under the trap and loosened the slip nuts. To my surprise more water drained into the bucket than could be in the trap. Apparently there is standing water in the pipes in the wall. I tightened up the slip nuts and stopped when I wasn't sure how much water is standing in the pipes.

The sink drain goes horizontally into the wall after the trap.

So do you think the pipe in the wall doesn't have enough slope? I suspect to goes about 4 ft to the left to hook into the bathroom stack & vent that I can see in the attic.

I do have an attic-installed HVAC geothermal unit that I drain down into the vent. If the vent was clogged then the whole bathroom wouldn't drain right so I don't think the vent is the issue.

Did I miss anything in my analysis?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slow draining sink with water in wall pipes

As a follow-up, there was standing water in the pipes. There was a clog downstream where I think the drain pipe from that attic geo unit connects in (I thought it was a vent but it is a real drain). I was away for several weeks and I think some black slime grew and clogged it.

I used a snake and broke the clog about 8 feet into the pipe. I'll go pop in some bleach and geltab into the drain of that geo unit to counteract the slime growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here