Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drought - Septic lines visible?

Posted by vgkg (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 10:29

Hi there, been a while.

Currently there's been a dry spell here for about 2 months and I can see my septic leach lines out in the drain field (I think?). My system is an old terra cotta type layout but I'm not sure how to "read" what I see out there in the dry field.

Here's the appearance - I can make out clearly 4 long straight areas of green and 4 long straight areas of brown between the green ones, all are very straight lines running about 100' in lenght. But the green stretches are about 4 feet wide and these are separated by 1 foot wide brown stretches. Since the greenish areas are 4' wide can I assume that these are the areas between the brown leach lines? or is it the other way around?

The under ground terra cotta lines shouldn't be more than a foot wide (similar size to the brown lines) so it seems that the same size brown lines are the terra cotta lines? but I can only guess at this. I had always heard that the "grass is always greener over the septic lines" but in my case it seems reversed according to the sizes of the green vs brown lines.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the spelling, at library with limited time.
Thanks!

PS - for my old gardenweb pals out there - for some odd reason the gardenweb site access is blocked by my local library but not the Homesite, go figure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drought - Septic lines visible?

Green is where the lines are. When moisture leaves the line it tends to spread out a bit, that is why the lines are spaced out.

o

Yep green is where the leach lines are.
Brown square is often where the tank is because the dirt is thin over top of it.

o

Make yourself a T-handle probe about 4 ft long. You will easily find the lines

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here