Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmccabe1

Help with Air Conditioner

tmccabe1
9 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate if someone would take a look at my J manual summary and quote and see if the sizes and prices seem reasonable for the house size and location.

We purchased a home and are doing a total rehab. The house is in the St Petersburg area on the waterfront. The back of the house faces south and has numerous sliding glass windows and doors; many of which are being raised to 8". There are not many windows on the East or West sides of the house. The house was built in 1980 and has very little up keep/updating during that time period. We have ripped it down to the studs in many areas to correct some design flaws and damage. We have not added any square feet, but may have affected airflow by removing a spiral and regular staircase. The windows are being upgraded to Hurricane glass with low E 366. We do not know how well the old system was working; one room had circulation issues that we believe were caused by incorrect venting. The air return in a large room over the garage was connected to an air handle for a different area.

Our general contractor had an air conditioner contractor come out and quote us on 4 new units. He told us he would need to relocate one unit, change some ductwork and tape every seam in the attic. He gave my husband a general quote that was over 32,000. He told us it was for all Trane XR13. We asked about different SEER units and he gave us a price for the XR16 & XR17. When ask how he chooses the unit sizes, his answer was, that he went slightly bigger than the builder, because we removed stairs and windows. When asked for the model numbers, of the rest of the quote in writing he refused, and when asked about the Xli series he told us his vendor could not get that unit for him. So many reasons to move on!

We then had a friend of a friend, who owns an air conditioning company out to the house. He told us it would cost us 30 for just he equipment and declined giving us a full quote, because it would take him three months to do the work. Fail!

I at the Trane web site looking to find a good company and set up and appointment with one of their highly rated dealers and another with the Trane/Carrier Company who installed an air conditioner in our last house. We met with the owner of the Trane dealer who seemed very friendly and knowledgeable, and promised to do a full J manual, just disappeared. I contacted his company three times after his visit and have never heard from him again. Why?

From reading general information on this web site I believed that the size/s of the original air conditioners were too large for the space. When final company gave us a quote, the size was reduced. We decided consolidate two of the areas into one zoned area; so more duct work than in the original quote and one less unit. Is this good equipment at a good price? Which filter system would be best if sliding doors will be open for several hours on most days of the year?

Thanks,
Tina

Comments (7)