Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sump pump /water /mould?

Posted by bronxbill (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 10:13

My sump pump overflowed - getting ready to replace it BUT my question is - the wall on both sides (sump pump is in a closet)had black water spots or maybe it was mould - I cleaned it up - all the water is gone but today 4 days later the mould on both sides of the wall came back. I don't know if that is actually mould or just that the wall is not completely dry even though the floor and rug is dry. What am I up against - do I have to tear out the sheet rock and repair or should I wait & see if the water spots /mould? finally disappear after it has completey dried.
Thanks for any input
Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sump pump /water /mold?

misspelled should be mold / not mould
Thanks

o
RE: sump pump /water /mould?

You have to cut out at least part of the sheet rock, what you are cleaning is just surface mold you have to remove what got into the center.

o
RE: sump pump /water /mold?

Thanks shacko: That's what I figured. It is a small area 2'x 3' and I dried it real good and cleaned it real good. Just going to wait about a week or two to see if the mold comes back - so far 4 days and it's ok. But I will replace it if I have to.
Thanks again
Bill

o

I think you are making a mistake, the mold is still growing inside the wall, you have to remember that mold is a health problem!

o

Get rid of the mold, and every thing it touched. The black mold is very bad for you, wear a good mask. It will get into your lungs and that is not good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here