Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wxtrender

Utility Sink Sump Pump

wxtrender
11 years ago

I have a Flotec Sink Utility Pump installed in my basement on a utility sink. The plumbing is fairly straight forward and connects into one of the main sewer lines of the house by going up and above and then down into the top side of the sewer line. There is also a check valve in the pump discharge line to prevent a sewer line back up from getting back down to the sump and then flowing up through the sink. So all is good there.

I am having a problem with a strong vacuum being developed in the sump that prevents the pump from running and then the drain water from the sink stops draining. Apparently it is a venting problem. The contractor that did the installation put in a vent line with a Studor vent at the end of the line. As I understand it the Studor vent is supposed to release the suction. As soon as we unscrew the vent you can hear the air rush in to release the vacuum. So obviously the application of the Studor vent is not appropriate here. What do I do? Venting to the outside while not impossible is not going to be a pleasant experience, is there any other vent product to use?

Comments (3)