Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wxtrender

Dishwasher Install

wxtrender
9 years ago

I own a small winery (very small). Anyway we would like to go from hand washing the glasses each day to using a sanitizing high temperature dishwasher.

We have found a unit to install and have ample electrical available. The one question though had to do with the water supply. In the specifications document for the dishwasher the service connections list a 3/4" female hose connector on 5' long flexible hose supplied with machine. The question I have is that my water supply line to that location is 1/2" copper and upgrading to 3/4" is next to impossible. Will it be ok to install the unit?...I think the only possible issue may be the unit takes a little longer to fill and thus cannot run as many cycles per hour.

Comments (10)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Correct.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Ask the manufacturer of the dishwasher what they recommend, and what the results of a narrow supply than expected will be.

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

Garden hose - is 3/4" straight pipe. All common hoses have 3/4" female hose connectors - as do you outside hose bibs. The inside diameter (ID) of the hose is probably 1/2"

Your DW will work fine.

There are some people on this forum who try to answer questions that they aren't qualified to answer.

This post was edited by Geoffrey_B on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 14:55

• hippy
    9 years ago

specifications document for the dishwasher the service connections list a 3/4" female hose connector on 5' long flexible hose supplied with machine.

The book is just telling you that the machine has a 3/4" female hose connector and should have a 5' long rubber or stainless steel hose with the unit. The hose should be about the same type used to connect a washer to the water supply.

If you have 1/2" water lines now. All you need is an adapter that has a 3/4 in. NH (National Hose) x 1/2 in. NPT (natural pipe thread) fittings.

The photo shows one such connector to give you an idea as to what to look or ask for at a local hardware store.

Sorry for the large photo. I was all I could find in a snap.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Note to wxtrender: The brand/model of the unit should always be stated when asking questions about appliances.

Dishwashers by-and-large are timed-fill ... that is, the machine's mechanical timer or electronic control board allows a specific period of time for water fill at the beginning of each wash or rinse phase. The supply connectors or hose being too small can restrict the flow rate, causing a low fill level and impaired performance. The installation requirements should state a range of water supply pressures (such as 20 psi to 90 psi) for the machine to operate properly.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

Check with manufacturer rather relying on internet opinions. While I would suspect that a "timed fill" is very unlikely and therefore so long as you make the connection it will fill and function normally (perhaps a bit longer, but fill time is not the main issue with dishwashers).

However I have -0- experience with commercial dishwashers, so maybe they are different animals. The engineering of assumption of flow rates (based on diameter of pipe) however would seem inherently a VERY bad idea and I would suspect therefore it's unlikely an issue.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

pprioroh,

"he engineering of assumption of flow rates (based on diameter of pipe) however would seem inherently a VERY bad idea and I would suspect therefore it's unlikely an issue."

Exactly! Additionally, the amount of water thru that given diameter hose would also vary greatly with water pressure.

Seriously doubt it is fill time based!

• hippy
    9 years ago

I installed two high temp rinse dishwasher at our local Fairground last year.

Small one

Jackson Temp Star.
    Wash = 57 racks per hour.
    Tank Capacity = 8 Gallons
    Water usage = 1 gallon per rack

That equals 57 gallons per hour.

Large one

Champion DR44
    Wash = 208 racks per hour
    Booster Tank = 6 gallons
    Wash Tank = 21 gallons
    Water usage = 1/2 gallon per rack
    It circulates 300 gallons of water per hour during the rinse cycles and only uses 112 gallons of fresh water per hour.

Both are Commercial grade dishwashers. Neither one had anything in the manual about Min/Max water pressures since they both have built in pumps.

We have not had a single problem with supplying both enough water from a single 1/2" water line.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Beats dishpan hands, too.

• aidan_m
    9 years ago

Many dishwashers use a 5' flexible line that has 3/4" hose threads on the machine and 3/8" compression on the supply line.

Sounds like you're doing a standard hookup.