Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water softner regeneration

Posted by window68 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 9:02

I had a water softener installed in a cottage that i use quite often in the summer but not very often in the fall or winter.My question is do i have to go up there every week or two to regenerate the softener in the winter or can i just drain the brine tank when i leave and refill it when i come back in a month or so or is there anything else that i can do before i leave so the water isn't terrible when i come back since its full of iron Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water softner regeneration

How to manage inactive softeners is always a problem.

Most important, the softener can not FREEZE.

Without knowing what softener you have if the softener is an on demand electronic unit it may have a day override so emptying the brine tank will not stop regenerations.

You'd need to shut off the water and pull the plug to stop regenerations then bypass the softener after relieving the internal water pressure. I'd empty the brine tank and toss the salt.

You should be shutting off the water when you're gone for an extended time anyway.

Since you have iron, are you routinely using Iron Out or a similar product?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here