Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmccabe1

Copper or CPVC to replace copper pipes?

tmccabe1
9 years ago

Copper or CPVC pipe for the areas that are under contract to be replaced?

Keep or replace M copper pipes for the rest of the house?

We are remodeling 3 bathrooms the kitchen of a 25 years old house that has copper pipes. The rough in contract states that all of the plumbing must be copper pipe. Today the plumber unloaded and started installing CPVC. We discussed this with the plumber and the general contractor, during this discussion he told us that we have M copper pipe and that we should redo all of the plumbing because M pipes only last for five years. The pipe still has the red identification markings; and is tarnished.

We contracted and paid for copper replacement pipes, which are more expensive than CPVC. Which pipes are better? How much less should it cost for parts and labor to re plumb a house with CPVC instead of copper?

Of course, we have to make a decision immediately, because we cannot stop the project. If its necessary to redo the plumbing now or soon this would be the best time to do it. Are there any health concerns with the CPVC?

Thanks..

{{!gwi}}

Comments (8)

• jakethewonderdog
    9 years ago

Okay, that should have been a conversation before now... Now it looks like they are just trying to save money.

Copper is stupid expensive - it didn't use to be that way, but copper prices skyrocketed.

PEX is the other good option. I would use PEX before CPVC.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Either way, PEX or CPVC.

You need to be cognizant of you electrical service ground, both of which will subvert.

• tmccabe1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

About how much difference is there for parts and labor between copper and CPVC?

Is it necessary, or a good idea to replace the areas of the house that were not included in the remodel, since the house is 25 years old since it is M copper? We are already replacing at least half of the plumbing. I don't know that if it has ever had any leaks or not. The house is trashed right now, so ripping our more drywall is not a huge issue.

Also, the plumber wants to use several island vents, including one in a bathroom. He doesn't want to go through the roof.

And yes I think this is all about the general contractor saving money, my husband is afraid that if we push him too hard about the pipes he will charge us more on change orders/items that he has completed, but will not give us a price on. We ask him how much adding or changing something will be, instead of telling us he just builds it without giving a price or change order. We have asked him several times to write it up, but he does not, Its really irritating and yes my contract states that he must give us the change order in witting, before he changes anything.

Thanks for the info!

• woodbutcher_ca
    9 years ago

Hi,I am in Ca. There is an ad in the paper for a repipe of a two bath house. 4695.00 for copper and 3695.00 for pex.
    no other info giving.
    Woodbutcher

• jackfre
    9 years ago

You should use type L copper if you stay with copper. I think you are being pushed and you should not tolerate it. You contracted, at an agreed price for copper. You are getting an inferior product in the cpvc. I have been in the plumbing business for 50 years and have never seen copper pipe deteriorate in five years. If you have decent water it will last a long long time. Do you have good water? Get it tested. If this is a municipal water system the water report is available by asking the town for it. You are getting screwed by the plumber and the general In my opinion.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

"Is it necessary, or a good idea to replace the areas of the house that were not included in the remodel, since the house is 25 years old since it is M copper?"

Yes, do a total replacement, as the copper has reached it expected life expectancy.

CPVC is widely used in mobil homes due to it's flexibility and lack of out-gassing at the glue joints.

"Also, the plumber wants to use several island vents, including one in a bathroom. He doesn't want to go through the roof."

You need to have a short and serious chat with your contractor about quality of workmanship, because this is BS.

"And yes I think this is all about the general contractor saving money, my husband is afraid that if we push him too hard about the pipes he will charge us more on change orders/items that he has completed, but will not give us a price on."

In many states all change orders are required in the business and professional code, to be fully priced upon presentation for signature.

But, why would you sign an authorization to proceed, without knowing what it cost?

"We ask him how much adding or changing something will be, instead of telling us he just builds it without giving a price or change order. We have asked him several times to write it up, but he does not, Its really irritating and yes my contract states that he must give us the change order in witting, before he changes anything."

If you know an attny. better yet where he lives, don't wait until monday, race over to his house and break in.

• jackfre
    9 years ago

I missed the part about the vent. As Sno says, complete BS. Those suit-vents do work. I have used them but only for an island sink or a problem solver. You absolutely want the complete system vented through the roof. Multiple vents if necessary.

I'd also have the conversation with the GC that you are depending upon him to not treat you like a "mark", to be taken advantage of. You are depending upon him to not only do the job and do it well, but to take care of you and give you the best possible product at the agreed upon price. If he is all ready upside down on your job you either have to push him to finish at the agreed price, and watch him like a hawk, agree to pay him more or let him walk...without the money. Is there a contractors license board in your state?