Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tngardener19

Need help quick! New sink is too deep for existing vertical drain

tngardener19
11 years ago

The granite fabricator is coming to make my template tomorrow and I have just taken the old tops off of the cabinets. I realize the new undermount, deeper sink will come down to at least 20" or 21" on this yardstick. It's a little hard to see, but the very top of the assembly is 19 1/2" so there's not any room as it stands now.

Will a plumber be able to remove the higher part of the drain assembly and rework it to fit the new sink?

Will we still have room for the dishwasher drain which used to go into the pvc pipe directly under the sink?

Thank you

Comments (10)

• homebound
    11 years ago

Will there be a garbage disposer? How deep is the sink? What is the height of the center of the drain to the floor?

There is the possibility that you may have to open the wall and lower the drain. Some workarounds are: don't have a disposer, use a shallower sink (which will still seem deep since it's undermount), or using a disposer with a deep trap (though that could leave standing water in the bottom of the disposer.

• tngardener19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your reply.
    I don't have a disposer and hadn't thought about adding one with everything that's going on in the remodeling.
    There will have to be a spout to attach the dishwasher drain hose, though.
    The sink will be undermounted and is 9" deep. The cabinet is 30" tall, so I guess that puts the bottom of the drain at about 19-20" above the board that you see. There are about 5 inches below what you see in the picture, under the board that's cut out around the pipes. The board is removable, so maybe the plumber can work with that extra room. Would a disposer fit if there are 5 more inches?

The other thing is, I don't really know anything about requirements. Do you see a vent on this? It's in sort of an island and there aren't any other holes or pipes besides what you see in the photo. I saw on other posts that it can be a challenge to vent an island sink, but it's required. Is that right?

• tngardener19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

By the way, it's possible there's a vent in the basement - there are a lot of water pipes and drain pipes down there.

• homebound
    11 years ago

Based on your pic, there seems to be enough for a plumber to make adjustments and hook it all up.

As a side note, a 9" deep sink that's undermounted is quite deep. You have long arms?

• homebound
    11 years ago

Also, you could do your plumber a favor and let him make the necessary adjustments before the counter is installed. Better for access and leverage.

• randy427
    11 years ago

Based on the photo you posted, by first removing everything above about the 8" mark, your plumber will have plenty of room to reconfigure the drain set-up for your new sink, including the DW. He will likely install an air admittance valve to provide for adequate venting.

• tngardener19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you randy427. That's what I was hoping to hear.

• ratflinger
    11 years ago

"Posted by homebound

As a side note, a 9" deep sink that's undermounted is quite deep. You have long arms?"

We have a 10" Blanco undermounted. Trust me, it's not too deep and it works well.

• tngardener19
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to know ratflinger. (I'd love to know where your name originated)
    I also asked a woman on the phone at the fabricator's and she said she is 5'1" with a 9" undermounted and she loves it, after a little adjustment. It will actually only end up a couple of inches deeper than the one I had. That will be great for washing and filling larger pots since the sink can only be 25 x 18 max because of space limitations. I can add a sink grate if I end up on my tiptoes all the time. :)

• homebound
    11 years ago

"Trust me, it's not too deep and it works well."

Trust you for what? Losing sight of the OP's original problem, or misunderstanding my post? I didn't say nor imply anything about a sink being "too deep". To the contrary, it's a matter of what is sufficiently deep (eg. compared to a builder-grade 7" drop-in sink) when one doesn't want to lower a drain in the wall.