Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hot and cold cross- connected?????

Posted by bkmena (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 2:09

We are in the process of redoing a bathroom in our house. The house was built in 1973--we purchased in 2007 . By the looks of other work we have uncovered, the folks that built it we not very good. My husband is a perfectionist, and is updating everything as we go along.

Our problem...we took out the hot water heater to have flooring replaced. When my husband turned the house water back on a fitting had a leak (luckily) it was on the pipe that would have come FROM the hot water heater....hmmmm..shouldn't happen. We checked all the faucets in the house, and sure enough there was water coming from both the hot and cold sides-without a hot water heater installed. My husband figures the bozos that plumbed the place 40 years ago somehow connected the hot and cold somewhere, and it's been that way ever since.

Before he starts breaking holes in the walls----does anyone know if a faulty faucet could cause such a problem? There are several single handle faucets original to the house. Should we check those before looking any farther?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...we will find the problem, but someone might have an idea that could save us some trouble.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hot and cold cross- connected?????

If you have faucets/bath taps etc that share a spout, I suspect the water could be going backwards through the part where they mix. By single handle faucets, do you mean mixers like in a shower? Again, if it's set to warm, it'll probably allow some water from the cold side to flow to the warm side. Since there's no hw heater connected, it's probably flowing backwards.

Having said that, cross-connections can occur, but you should check.

If you make sure ALL the hot taps are off, and all the mixers/single handles are set to COLD ONLY, I suspect the backflow will stop, unless there's a bad washer or, as you say, an incorrect cross-connection....although I'm not sure how it would happen a you've described it.

o
RE: hot and cold cross- connected?????

does anyone know if a faulty faucet could cause such a problem? There are several single handle faucets original to the house. Should we check those before looking any farther?
Yes, it can. Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I replaced the cartridge in the kitchen's single handle faucet and it solved the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here