Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bwsk

hot and cold cross- connected?????

bwsk
11 years ago

We are in the process of redoing a bathroom in our house. The house was built in 1973--we purchased in 2007 . By the looks of other work we have uncovered, the folks that built it we not very good. My husband is a perfectionist, and is updating everything as we go along.

Our problem...we took out the hot water heater to have flooring replaced. When my husband turned the house water back on a fitting had a leak (luckily) it was on the pipe that would have come FROM the hot water heater....hmmmm..shouldn't happen. We checked all the faucets in the house, and sure enough there was water coming from both the hot and cold sides-without a hot water heater installed. My husband figures the bozos that plumbed the place 40 years ago somehow connected the hot and cold somewhere, and it's been that way ever since.

Before he starts breaking holes in the walls----does anyone know if a faulty faucet could cause such a problem? There are several single handle faucets original to the house. Should we check those before looking any farther?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...we will find the problem, but someone might have an idea that could save us some trouble.

Comments (2)