Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lifesource water system -) Are they good?

Posted by lalitha (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 1:35

We are looking at some whole house systems as we have hard water with high level of nitrates here in Northern california. My contrator suggested Lifesource Water. They claim to improve the taste of water, remove chlorine taste and make the water work better for pipes and dishwasher etc. Have you heard of them? Are they any good? I am concerned about salt based water softeners as they are apparently banned in CA now. What other options?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lifesource water

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lifesource water system -) Are they good?

Also here is my water quality report.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water quality report

o

Lifesource claims to do many things but they do not claim to remove hardness from the water because they don't.

You have hard water and that will accelerate the wear and tear on your plumbing, appliances, fixtures and you will use more soap and detergent than necessary.

You should check with a local water treatment professional to find out what your water treatment options are for your area.

o

Hi Lalitha, we've had Lifesource water system for about 10 years. we had hard water problems before our lifesource system and now we don't. this system is great- we drink our tap water now, it tastes really good. Don't believe the malarkey about how hard water damages plumbing- just an old wives tale. This is great water for our flowers and plants- they love this water- a water softener will kill your landscaping

Here is a link that might be useful: Lifesourcewater.com

o

The preceding post seems like a self-serving endorsement from a poster who joined the forum today. If I am in error I apologize in advance unless the poster has an interest in the choice you make. I have no dog in this fight and nothing to gain.

But, lets look st that link... click here

Not one single Lifesource product is certified by the WQA to remove one single grain of hardness.

What those devices are certified by the WQA to do is remove chlorine, chloramine, iron, manganese, and hydrogen sulfide.

o

Mr. Lurker, how rude of you to imply that I am not a lifesource customer- I am an avid horticulturist /environmentalist. You seem to be stuck on pushing water softeners when they are bad for people, plants and the environment. People need to wake up! Water softeners and the salt they dump into our water supply are being banned for a reason, they're bad for the environment. see why they are banned BY LAW in northern Los Angeles county and other communities in the USA. see link-
Proud LifeSource Owner-

Here is a link that might be useful: www.lacsd.org

o

"Don't believe the malarkey about how hard water damages plumbing- just an old wives tale."

What an incredibly stupid statement!

Assuming you use that same intellect to evaluate your lifesource system, I can't but be anything other than suspicious.

o

Flowerman5

"see why they are banned BY LAW in northern Los Angeles county

Politicians are as qualified to legislate science as they are adept at balancing a budget.

My wife's plants and flowers do very nicely on soft water.

o

Oh now I see- you guys ARE water softener salesman.
Fact is- only steel or galvanized water pipes will clog from hard water. Use of galvanized pipe was fazed out after the 1950's.

See this info from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality's, (ADEQ) info website www.tapintoquality.com/facts-hardness.html

"Will the minerals in hard water clog the water pipes in my home?"
"The calcium in your water will not build up fast enough to limit the useful life of your household plumbing. The calcium in hard water can create a natural protective coating on the inside of your copper pipes. If your home has lead or copper pipes or pipes with lead solder, this coating has a beneficial effect by preventing lead and copper from leaching into your homes water supply. Mineral buildup in sink aerators may restrict water flow. Simply remove the aerator, clean it with vinegar, and replace."

Also water softeners WILL damage landscaping- see this info from
University of Missouri - http://nevadagardens.com/StarNursery/page01/Tip 1064.htm
and New Mexico State University " Water softener bad for plants" http://aces.nmsu.edu/ces/yard/1999/051799.html

Sorry Guys- I don't believe you. I will trust my own experience and research/facts from nationally recognized universities and science agencies.
Good luck selling water softeners.

-Proud LifeSource Water Customer

Here is a link that might be useful: New Mexico State University

o

FlowerMan5,

Correctly sized and efficiently set up softeners are still legal in many parts of California which in itself shows there are some legislators there that still think.

Fact is, a great many softeners are not correctly sized and are not set up to run efficiently and that is a problem for the environment and a waste of money for people regardless of where they live.

I'm on a rural water system that runs around 30gpg hard with no iron. It is common for people on this water system to replace their water heaters every 2-2.5 years. They simply spring leaks. My water heater was installed in 1995 along with my softener. My softener provides 0 hardness water and we use one 40lb bag of regenerant a month (12 bags or 480lb per year). I drain my water heater twice a year and nothing but clean, clear water drains out... no floaties, no sediment. My water heater is 16+ years old. I have not replaced a faucet washer, cleaned an aerator, or cleaned a shower head in those 16+ years and my wife waters her flowers and plants with soft water and they thrive.

"I will trust my own experience and research/facts from nationally recognized universities and science agencies"

So, if you can read it then it is true? Then read this...

Softened Water Benefits Study

o

FlowerMan5

FWIW, you're wrong. I am a retail user. No association or commercial interest whatsoever, now or at any time. No friends or family in the business...nothing. I refuse to be your straw man.

Might help your position to back off a notch on that "pride" that apparently causes you to make stupid, assumptive statements, too.

And, by the way, soft water will continue to be supplied. Stand-alone personally owned units are banned. According to the link you provided, they'll still let Culligan and others deliver pre-charged tanks just like they always have. No more do-it-yourself, though. I think that exception tends to support justalurker's idea that so many home-use softeners are incorrectly sized and set up.

o

Softened water is never intended to be used to treat water for outdoor use. The statement about hard water coating plumbing being helpful is contradictory to this whole discussion and even by the so called claims that Lifesource water expounds. The premise behind "lifesource" (and similar technology) is it binds up the dissolved mineral content to keep it from falling out of solution and causing hard water problems. So your statement about hard water being beneficial to plumbing is contradictory even to the claims of the very product you are purporting to be so beneficial. Perhaps the treatment professionals on this site with so much experience, with varied water treatment problems and applications have seen what problems hard water can really cause. It is true that water hardness of lower hardness IE: 4-10 gpg of hardness will have less "visible" evidence of hard water damage. Try and tell a family of 4 living with 100 gpg hard water that it won't harm their plumbing and home. Try telling a home owner that goes through a water heater every five years from hard water.
Here is a hard FACT: 7000 grains of hard water = 1 lb of dissolved rock. Left untreated a family of 4 with 20 gpg hard water will have over 200 lbs of dissolved rock in their home every year!
Obviously you have never had to REPLUMB an entire home because the plumbing became too constricted from hard water deposits or replaced electric water heaters that keep blowing elements and TP valves from calcium buildup.
I'm DONE!
RJ

o

RJ,

This argument will never be won with science, logic, decades of first hand experience or the fact that hundreds of millions of people world wide have softeners and prefer soft water over hard water for all the reasons that soft water is preferable to hard water.

FlowerMan5,

If your best argument is posting a link to am anonymous Q&A on the NMSU web site that is unsigned then find better info.

When softeners are outlawed in California that will be another reason not to live there ;)

o

"Fact is- only steel or galvanized water pipes will clog from hard water. Use of galvanized pipe was fazed out after the 1950's."

Bovine scatology.

It causes buildup in almost every type of plumbing.

Is is especially damaging to devices used to heat water since that drives the dissolved chemicals out of solution.

This decreases the efficiency of water heaters by reducing the amount of heat that can move through the tank walls and into the water )for gas heaters) and makes electric heating elements run hotter reducing their life (and efficiency).

While it is possible for softened water to harm plants especially sensitive to sodium, it is not normally used to water them.

Anyone with a correctly installed softener does not have the outside valves on the softener.
There is usually a source of un-softened water easily available before the softener.

o

"...it (soft water) is not normally used to water them (plants)

Sez you? Everyone I know with soft water waters their houseplants from the closest inside faucet and so do we. Haven't lost a house plant yet. We water our Rose bushes, Irises, Tulips, Daffodils, and Dahlias with softened water and they have thrived for 16+ years.

"Anyone with a correctly installed softener does not have the outside valves on the softener"

I love generalizations and I'll take issue with that one.

A blanket statement citing the right way and the wrong way to do anything is subjective especially when the person making the statement knows nothing of the details of the situation.

Most softener retrofits are plumbed to treat the entire house. To do it any other way would increase the cost immensely and make the job a real nightmare for the homeowner.

Many people prefer washing their cars with softened water just like the professional car washes do so an outside softened hose bib is required and some homes only have one outside hose bib..

I have seen recently constructed homes plumbed for softeners that soften the entire house, soften the entire house except the cold water tap in the kitchen, and soften the entire house except an outside hose bib and variations of the three.

There is no right or wrong in a used home... there is the way it is unless the homeowner wants to pay to change it to the way the homeowner wants it.

o

Watering plants with softened water is a mixed bag. Of course, the harder your water, the more sodium you will be putting on your plants. The longer you water them, the more sodium you will be putting on your plants, and so on.

Moreover, some plants are more sensitive than others and will react differently. In most cases, you will see no problems.

The biggest issue, though is why? Why use your softener for a purpose it is not designed? Just put it on by pass and water away. Don't forget to return it to service.

But to say that no one should have outside water softened is their opinion and just that. I use mine to wash my cars and my windows. I could not imagine trying to wash my windows with hard water.

Lifesource is nothing more than a whole-house, backwashing carbon filter. Yes, it has an NSF-42 rating:
NSF/ANSI Standard 42: Drinking Water Treatment Units - Aesthetic Effects
Overview: This standard covers point-of-use (POU) and point-of-entry (POE) systems designed to reduce specific aesthetic or non-health-related contaminants (chlorine, taste and odor, and particulates) that may be present in public or private drinking water.

Lifesource uses a standard carbon media and a variety of Fleck valves (plumbers' standard choices) but there is a nice shiny jacket with Lifesource written on it.

If you are looking for a color, taste and odor filter, this will work fine. I would strongly recommend AGAINST using this on well waters for a number of solid reason. It is intended for city water use only and is not certified to remove chloramine, which many cities have switch to.

o

Thanks for all the feedback. I will now need to look at water softener systems. Especially what is legal in nor cal..

o

i was just going to post this question! thank you lalitha. we have super hard water in southern ca too. i'm still trying to figure out what to do. lifesource is appealing in that i don't like all the saline waste or sodium in my water, but if it doesn't reduce hardness, it's gonna have to be a no go. we just remodeled our bathroom and the hard water is already ruining the finish on our brand new satin nickel shower trim!!

o

@ jimnyo

Read the posts, will ya? If you want soft water, ion-exchange is the only even remotely economical way to get it. Period. Your new laws prohibit owner-maintained ion-exchange systems. The text is referenced above. Read it.

You can still get outside-vendor ion-exchange zero-grain ion-exhange soft water. In my previous post, I said.......

"And, by the way, soft water will continue to be supplied. Stand-alone personally owned units are banned. According to the link you provided, they'll still let Culligan and others deliver pre-charged tanks just like they always have."

In addition to posting, it remains legal to research and read.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here